Subject: Re: Versioning, Namespace URI Design Discussion

A very nice set of questions and commentary.
Few comments inlined below.

Patil, Sanjay wrote:

> This email is to fulfill an AI assigned to me during  the last conf-call
> of the SCA-Bindings TC. As I understand, the AI was to identify the
> various top level issues concerning versioning of artifacts, namespace
> URI design, etc.  Since this topic is also of interest to the other Open
> CSA TCs, I have included the chairs of those TCs on the recipient list
> of this note.
>
> Following is what I think are the high level questions (along with my
> commentary) concerning versioning, namespace URI design, etc, for the
> Open CSA TCs.
>
> - What version number should be used to describe the artifacts
> (specifications, schemas, WSDL files, etc.) produced by the different
> Open CSA TCs?
>
>   I believe the Open CSA Steering Committee recently resolved to make a
> technical recommendation for all the Open CSA TCs to adopt the same
> version number. As I understand, the plan is to use  '1.1' as the
> version number as of now.
>
>   As per the OASIS guideline for Metadata and Versioning [1], the
> version number represents a significant body of work carried by a TC
> often leading to an OASIS standard, and therefore the version number
> typically would  not undergo changes during the TC's life time. The
> version number of artifacts should not to be confused with the various
> stages of the artifact drafts produced by the TC (e.g. working draft 01,
> working draft 02, committee draft 01, committee draft 02, etc.), and the
> revisions of each stage of a draft  (e.g. committee draft 02 rev 1,
> committee draft 02 rev 2, etc.). Please see the OASIS guideline for more
> details.
>
> - Should the version number be part of any namespace URI formulated by
> the Open CSA TCs?
>   I think we should consider the design and change of namespace URI as a
> separate issue from the versioning of the artifacts providing
> definitions for that namespace URI. Namespace URI is typically changed
> only when some definitions under the namespace undergo backward
> incompatible changes. There are situations where the version number of
> artifacts may change but the namespace URI may remain the same. For
> example, a TC may decide to bump the version number of specifications
> (e.g. use 1.5 instead of 1.1) merely to reflect the amount of new work
> that made into the new version, however the new version as such is still
> backward compatible with the previous version.
>
>   A solution here is to not use the version number in design of the
> namespace URI, but use some other metadata (such as year and month of
> when the backward incompatible change to the definitions under the
> namespace URI is introduced) . For example, the http scheme namespace
> URI defined by the version SCA Assembly TC specifications could be  -
> _http://docs.oasis-open.org/[tcShortName]/[tcProductName]/[yyyymm_],
> where yyyymm stands for the year and month in which the TC voted on the
> [...]

Regardless of whether there is a single NS for all the OpenCSA TC
schemas or multiple NSs, I think having an OpenCSA prefix makes sense.
For example:
If it is a single NS then something like
http://docs.oasis-open.org/OpenCSA/sca/YYYYMM
If it is multiple NSs then something like
http://docs.oasis-open.org/OpenCSA/sca-binings/ws/YYYYMM

> - How to formulate a namespace URI, which is used and defined by
> multiple Open CSA TCs?
>   The OASIS guideline for URI design [2] recommends that the http scheme
> namespace URIs defined by OASIS TCs to begin with:
> _http://docs.oasis-open.org/[tcShortName]/_, where the [tcShortName] is
> the short name of the TC such as sca-assembly, sca-bindings, sca-j, etc.
> So when multiple Open CSA TCs plan to contribute to the same namespace
> URI, we have a conflict. Looking at the contributed material to the
> different Open CSA TCs,  it seems that we currently have this problem,
> for example, the namespace "___http://www.osoa.org/xmlns/sca/1.0_"; is
> defined by the schema for SCA Assembly (contributed to SCA-Assembly TC),
> schema for SCA WS Binding, SCA JMS Binding (contributed to SCA-Bindings
> TC), etc. A solution here would be to use the short name of the member
> section (i.e.OpenCSA) instead of short name of he TCs, that is, the
> namespace URI shared by the different Open CSA TCs would begin with
> _http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/_ However it would be advisable to
> consult the OASIS staff if we were to adopt such a solution since it is
> technically in violation of the OASIS guidelines.
>
> - Should the namespace URI be dereferenceable? If yes, what document
> should be returned when a namespace URI is dereferenced?

+1 to dereferenceable URL and having RDDL document at the URL.