Subject: RE: [sca-bindings] ISSUE 19: Web Service binding should allow #wsdl.binding with reference targets

The latest draft of the spec, in PDF, has lines 82 and 83, which seem to be what we are talking about (not lines 53 and 54).

The context is this:

/binding.ws/@wsdlElement – optional attribute that specifies the URI of a WSDL element. The use of this attribute indicates that the SCA binding points to the specified element in an existing WSDL document. The URI can have the following forms:

o Binding:

<WSDL-namespace-URI>#wsdl.binding(<binding-name>)

In this case, the identified WSDL binding must have an equivalent PortType with the SCA service or reference. In this case the endpoint address URI for the SCA service or reference must be provided via the URI attribute on the binding.

It doesn’t seem right to me to change the last sentence to: “The endpoint address URI for an SCA service MUST be provided as the URI attribute on the binding, and the endpoint address URI for an SCA reference MUST be provided either as the URI attribute on the binding or by the endpoint address implied by a reference target URI or wire target URI.”

In the case of services, I believe that we should allow the URI to be computed based on the defaulting rules.

In the case of references, I think the original point of the text was that the URI attribute needs to be set, since it will be pointing to something that is outside of SCA and won’t be using SCA’s wiring mechanisms.  After all, if you are using SCA wiring, you have no business specifying WS binding details on the client side.

One final note, I think the first sentence should replace the “equivalent” with “conforming”.

Michael