Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] ISSUE-22: Callbacks for binding.ws

Am I missing something here?

Suppose for a moment that you ignore that "anonymous" reply channel in HTTP, and every message uses WS-Addressing for a response (although potentially it uses the "anonymous" channel).

How is this problem of callbacks over WS binding different from the four (five? six?) week effort on JMS that we (but mostly Simon H.) went through trying to figure out how to handle the JMSReplyTo header, depending on MEP, and callbacks?  With JMS there is a clear upside to using the JMSReplyTo header, in that it is already a "Destination", thus overcoming some potential limitations.

If this is the same problem, does it deserve a solution that follows the same pattern?  Or, is it a characteristically different problem (as I think it is), in that there isn't any "blessed" "reply" header that is any more special than any other.

-Eric.

Michael Rowley wrote:
2E22E42D2E71B845B67F093A02B962DB01EA414C@repbex01.amer.bea.com" type="cite">

I’d like to get this topic started.  I’ve narrowed the subject line from the original Issue 22 title, since I’d like this particular thread to be on how callbacks could be handled in the WS-* world.  We can handle conversations and other bindings on other threads.

First, I’ll assume that we will try to use WS-Addressing, if possible.

My first thought is that it would be preferable to be able to leverage the ws-ReplyTo field, since I believe that it should be possible to distinguish replies from callbacks, and I also believe that callbacks should go to the same place that replies would go to.  I have a vague recollection that Anish preferred the use of <wsa:from> rather than <wsa:replyTo> for passing callback ID information.  Unfortunately, I can’t find an email to that effect, so I’ll ask that he confirm or deny that.

I've been thinking that the client that is going to receive callbacks might want the reference parameters that would be available if the service provider follows the rules from the "Formulating a Reply Message" section of the WS-addressing spec.

One way that a callback could be distinguished from a reply is that the callback could have a <relatesTo> header that uses a relationship type of "oasis.org/isCallbackFor" and a reference to the messageID that the callback is in response to.  I haven’t seen other uses of the <relatesTo> header, but it seems like this is exactly the sort of thing it is meant for.

Michael