Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 25: Does binding.ws imply SOAP

Eric,

I agree, that <binding.ws/> MUST support SOAP, or must support SOAP over HTTP is a reasonable position - and can help interop.
(We might go further and demand that WS-I Basic Profile must be supported for the "unadorned" <binding.ws/>)

With regard to the "alwaysProvides="SOAP" intent, there we need a discussion.

If THAT were required, then it would imply that <binding.ws/> ALWAYS means "SOAP" message format - and that no other format
is allowed.   This is a further step.  Requiring that the binding implementation support SOAP is not the same as requiring it to support
SOAP at all times.  This requirement could render valid WSDLs invalid, for example if they used a "RESTful" style XML format for the
exchanged messages, rather than SOAP.

Do we want to go this far?

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>

06/06/2008 12:31

Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
OASIS Bindings <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 25: Does binding.ws imply SOAP

Following all of Mike's points....

Mike Edwards wrote:

Folks,

I agree with the general direction advocated here:

1) <binding.ws/> implies a WSDL-related binding

2) <binding.ws/> SHOULD imply a SOAP binding

3) <binding.ws/> WITHOUT an explicitly supplied WSDL MUST support SOAP & HTTP

I believe we require supporting binding.ws with nothing additional supported, as in:
"<binding.ws/>"

Coupled with Mike's statement above, this implies that a conforming implementation MUST support SOAP, even if SOAP is not used in a particular configuration.

Is that the question or is the question more specifically that it is always true that a binding.ws implementation "alwaysProvides" "soap"?

If you can't tell, I'm slightly lost as to the actual issue.

-Eric.