Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Action item: Note about TextMessage from SOAP/JMSworking group

 >> If serialized xml is used (anywhere), one can't ignore the encoding
 >> attribute. No?
 > Yes, you can.  If you only serialize to characters, rather than bytes,
 > then the encoding is spurious, because it hasn't been applied yet.

When I said serialized xml, I meant serialized so that it is a
sequence/stream of bytes. XML is a stream of characters; unless it is
converted to bytes, the encoding attribute won't be meaningful.

So, IIUIC, the spec is saying that since it is a Java String (which is
unicode), the 'encoding' attribute, which is used for indicating the
encoding when serializing to bytes, is meaningless and is therefore
ignored. If so, I understand it now. Although, I have to ask, why would
anyone use this attribute in the Java String form? And if they did,
wouldn't this be an indicator that something is wrong.