Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Attempt #3 to resolve issues 57, 58, and 59

Simon,

That's what I referred to originally as treating acronymns as single letters, so they are always uppercased or lowercased in their entirety.

The simplication of that that the intent naming convention uses is that they are just always uppercase.  The two concerns I have with that are that then you can't simply differentiate between types and elements by looking at the first character, and that combinations of acronyms look odd (JNDIURL for example).

Unfortunately the Jms vs JMS is really down to taste and familiarity, I remember seeing this somewhere in someone's API in the past and balking at it, these days I'm not so bothered.

I'm starting to wonder if the cost has exceeded the benefit for this issue - perhaps we should just have a vote on the two or three options and go with the majority.

Regards, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com

Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com>

05/02/2009 19:54

OASIS Bindings <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [sca-bindings] Attempt #3 to resolve issues 57, 58, and 59

Eric Johnson wrote:
> Based on Simon H's feedback, I've incorporated a few changes.
>
> Discussion points (deltas from last email):
>
>     * We seem to agree that "jndiUrl" is the acceptable form of an
>       attribute name, so I've removed discussion around that.

It might be too late for me to speak up (again) on this, but
I'll make one last attempt.

My brain does not work like Simon H's by turning acronyms into
words.  At least, if it does so, it does so very selectively,
and on the rare occasions when it does this, the result is
an all-lower-case string and not a camel-case string.  So my
brain feels pretty comfortable with both URI and uri, but when
it sees Uri, it throws a wobbly.

If no-one else feels this way, I'll accept that I am just
strange and concede the point.  But on the small off-chance
that someone else has a brain wired similarly to mine, I'll
propose an alternative convention for dealing with acronyms.

Rule 1: Acronyms are not treated as words.  They are written
        as either all upper-case or all lower-case.
Rule 2: Acronyms at the start of a name can be written as
        either all lower-case or all upper-case.  If they are
        followed immediately by another acronym, lower-case
        must be used.
Rule 3: Acronyms not at the start of a name are always
        written as all upper-case.

This would lead to the following possible patterns, where
aaa, bbb, ccc are acronyms and www, xxx, yyy are words:

 aaa           e.g. uri
 AAA           e.g. URI
 aaaBBB        e.g. jndiURL
 aaaBBBCCC     Do we have any of these?  Even if we do, my brain
               would find this more comfortable than aaaBbbCcc
 aaaWww        e.g. jmsType
 AAAWww        e.g. JMSType
 aaaBBBWww     Do we have any of these?  Even if we do, my brain
               would find this more comfortable than aaaBbbWww
 aaaWwwBBBXxx  and so on...

  Simon