Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 25: proposal

Anish,

What's the motivation for not requiring support for the @wsdlElement attribute?

Thinking about this, I tend to favour requiring support for that attribute, but being
flexible about allowing the binding implementation to potentially refuse to accept
WSDLs with specific aspects (although requiring SOAP 1.1 & 1.2 support is OK
with me).

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: OASIS Bindings <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 11/02/2009 07:19
Subject: [sca-bindings] Issue 25: proposal

I went through our ML archives for discussion on 25 (if you are
interested it happened in 5/8, 6/8 and 7/8. We also had a discussion on
this during one of our f2f (but I did not get a chance to look at the
minutes for that f2f). The discussions are about a lot of things
including whether the binding should be renamed to binding.soap, have
multiple bindings (for those who attended the f2f, may remember the
matrix) etc.

In the spec what we have is:
1) binding.ws that is wsdl 1.1 based, but extensible
2) soap 1.1/http defaults for <binding.ws/>

Given that the raison d'être for binding.ws is soap using WSDL 1.1 as
the description language, I would like to suggest the following
direction for the resolution:

1) An implementation that claims conformance to this spec MUST support
the bare <binding.ws/> element (i.e. support soap 1.1/http)
{corollary: Any implementation that claims conformance to this spec MUST
include "soap.1_1" intent in its list of mayProvides}

2) An implementation that claims conformance to this spec SHOULD support
 the use of @wsdlElement within <binding.ws> element.

3) An implementation that claims conformance to this specification and
supports the use of @wsdlElement within <binding.ws> element MUST
support the WSDL 1.1 binding for SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2.

With the two above, I'm trying to balance few things:
needs of portability or providing more teeth to conformance, the
possibility that someone may want to support soap 1.1/http but doesn't
want to support WSDL 1.1, and the need to avoid creation of profile(s)
that would make <binding.ws> more meaning.

Comments?