Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 2 proposal v12

Simon Nash wrote:
> Anish Karmarkar wrote:
>> Simon Nash wrote:

>>> In SCA terms, it is a reference.  I think this wording is fine as is.
>>>

>> It is fine if all we care about is SCA references/services using this
>> protocol. This protocol is important not just to demonstrate that it
>> is *possible* to do sca callbacks using WS-*, but that there is at
>> least one interoperable/well-defined way to do this. The
>> 'interoperable' part is important because (1) this is WS-*, where
>> interoperability is quite important (unlike SCA where the focus is on
>> portability), and (2) I expect this protocol to be used by non-SCA
>> clients that want to invoke SCA services. If all the interacting
>> parties are SCA references/services then vendors can do whatever they
>> want. I expect that binding.sca would be used in such cases. The fact
>> that binding.ws is being used to me means there is a need for interop
>> with non-SCA clients.
>>
> Sorry, I overlooked this point.  However, I think that fixing it
> might need more than a one-word change.  For example, the section
> starts "An SCA runtime MAY implement...."  For a non-SCA client,
> there would be no SCA runtime involved on the client side.  Perhaps
> we could get this completed for the SCA reference and SCA service
> case, and then open another issue to extend it to non-SCA clients
> and non-SCA services (if we think the latter makes sense).

The correct way IMHO would be to talk in terms of senders and receivers
or service/client/invoker (which is how protocols are usually defined).

To beat a dead horse: we don't have anything other than SCA Runtime as
conformance targets to use here. A separate independent spec makes a lot
of sense for several reasons (which I have outlined before) including
this one. I do want to enable a simple JAX-WS client (or any WS client)
to be able to use this protocol.

Perhaps, as you suggest, a way forward is to leave this as is for now
and raise a PR issue and deal with it there.