Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Re: Proposed resolution to issue 54, attempt #5

Eric Johnson wrote:
> Mike raises a question which I don't know how to resolve:
>
> Mike Edwards wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> 1) Lines 308 - 310 now say:
>>
>> "In some cases the URI determined by previous steps is relative to the
>> structural URI for either an SCA service or binding.  In case of such
>> a URI, the runtime SHOULD combine the relative URI with an absolute
>> deployment target URI."
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> b) it introduces the concept "absolute deployment target URI" - where
>> is this defined and described?  As a whole, it seems very vague.
>>
> I really don't know what to suggest here, in that I agree that it is
> vague.  I had thought that Assembly had some tighter language around
> some notion of a deployment URI, but after just reviewing, I don't see it.
>
> I'm left with a few options, and the last one I felt like I should add,
> just because specifying a URI for a service at the time you're composing
> a composite is rife with issues.

>     * Attempt to define what a deployment target URI would be.
>     * Vaguely state that the structural URI should be used in
>       constructing the actual deployment URI.
>     * Leave it completely to the implementation to decide what to do
>       with a URI, relative or absolute
>     * Forgo any attempt to specify how a URI is determined for a service.
>
> My attempts at issue 54 have so far have attempted (mostly) to keep what
> I perceived as the original intent, which allowed for specifying the URI
> of a service as part of the design-time configuration.  However,
> recognizing that a URI known when constructing a composite may have no
> relationship to an actual deployed environment, it is extremely
> difficult to say how to honor that URI.  For example, if the URI
> indicates "http", but there's a policy intent that effectively dictates
> HTTPS, what do we do?  Is our spec:
>
>     * Treating this as an error?
>     * Encouraging implementations to alert users to the discrepancy?
>     * Mum on the point?
>
> I note, in contrast to what we're currently doing with binding.ws, that
> section 8.4 of the assembly spec, when discussing binding.sca, says "If
> the binding @uri attribute is specified on a service, it is ignored."
>
> I'm almost ready to throw in the towel, because I don't see that we can
> tightly define this in a sensible way.  For services, I'd suggest adding
> text on the order of this:
>
> In determining the URI for a service, implementations are encouraged to
> attempt to honor the value(s) of @uri attribute, the URI in a
> wsa:Address element from an endpointReference, the URI indicated by WSDL
> port via a @wsdlElement attribute references, and the structural URI for
> the binding.
>
> Comments?

I think this is too vague and we need to be more prescriptive.

I don't think the <binding.sca> case is comparable.  An important
difference is that <binding.ws> is an interoperable binding, so the
URI used to expose a service with <binding.ws> is significant for
interoperability with non-SCA clients.  This consideration does not
apply to a service with <binding.sca> which only has SCA clients
wired to it using SCA mechanisms.  Services using <binding.sca>
might not even have a URI, depending on what transport they use.

Tomorrow I will try to come up with some alternative words for
service URIs, based on the previous proposal draft.

   Simon