Subject: Re: [sca-policy] Re: [sca-bindings] Re: [sca-policy] Suggested wording forPOLICY-83

...sigh...

"If the intent is attached in an unqualified form then any version of SOAP is acceptable."

That statement is simply repeating the meaning of an unqualified but qualifiable intent, i.e. it can always be further qualified by another part of the composite. What does the SOAP intent mean to an assembler that finds it on a service or reference element? It means that he must find a binding that can provide SOAP. Any version of SOAP is fine because the developer did not constrain it. The assembler may have to add the 1_2 qualifier if that's what he wants to provide. If he says nothing, the FW will handle resolving the intent to a binding (or policySet) based on the default qualifier.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Simon Nash ---05/14/2009 10:31:14 AM---Dave, Here is an extract from the Policy spec CD02 rev1:Simon Nash ---05/14/2009 10:31:14 AM---Dave, Here is an extract from the Policy spec CD02 rev1:

Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com>

David Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS

sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org, sca-policy@lists.oasis-open.org

05/14/2009 10:31 AM

Re: [sca-policy] Re: [sca-bindings] Re: [sca-policy] Suggested wording for POLICY-83

Dave,
Here is an extract from the Policy spec CD02 rev1:

2283 SOAP – The SOAP intent specifies that the SOAP messaging model is used for delivering
2284 messages. It does not require the use of any specific transport technology for delivering the
2285 messages, so for example, this intent can be supported by a binding that sends SOAP
2286 messages over HTTP, bare TCP or even JMS. If the intent is attached in an unqualified form
2287 then any version of SOAP is acceptable.

This text states that the unqualified SOAP intent allows either
SOAP 1.1 or SOAP 1.2 to be used.

Here is another extract from the same spec:

2290             When a SOAP intent is qualified with 1_1 or 1_2, then SOAP version 1.2 or SOAP
2291 version 1.2 respectively MUST be used to deliver messages. [POL100002]

This text states that the qualified intent SOAP.1_1 allows only
SOAP 1.1 to be used, and prohibits the use of SOAP 1.2.

Taking these two statements together, it seems clear that the 1_1
qualifier cannot be the default for the SOAP intent.

  Simon

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/POLICY-83