Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] [Issue 2] Inlined proposal v2

Folks,

I agree with Eric.

There should be no mandatory requirement to support the WS-MC flavour of this.  It should be purely optional.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
To: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
Cc: Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com>, OASIS Bindings <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 14/05/2009 18:59

Hi Anish,

Anish Karmarkar wrote:

Simon Nash wrote:
Anish,
As currently written, the conformance section requires that
implementations claiming support for the SCA Web Services
Callback Protocol MUST support both the "regular" flavor
defined in section 5 and the WS-MC flavor defined in section
5.1.  I thought the intention was to give these two flavors
equal status and allow implementations to support either or
both of them.

I had thought otherwise. I.e., a runtime is required to support both. A particular service/composite gets to choose whether it wants to use polling or host a listener. I don't feel strongly about this, but we should discuss as to what we would like.

I side with Simon here.  In the scenario where I support callbacks, I can have lots of reasons for not supporting callbacks via a polling mechanism.  To wit: There are other, far better ways to send messages asynchronously (JMS, SMTP, XMPP), and mandating that any implementation that supports the direct callback mechanism must also support the polling callback flies in the face of this simple technical observation.  Why would we want to mandate the use of an inferior approach?

-Eric.