Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Re: BINDINGS-73

Simon,

Please see comments on R3 inlined below

Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com> wrote on 15/05/2009 12:26:57:

> [...]
> > wsdlElement if present.
> >
> > Use SOAP intent on the service binding
> >
> > a) if I point at a SOAP binding/port of any version using the
> > wsdlElement attribute then that version of SOAP is supported by the
> > endpoint. I think this should be exclusive and no other versions
> > supported by the endpoint.
> > b) if I don't point at a SOAP binding/port using the wsdlElement
> > attribute, then any number of any versions of SOAP may be supported by
> > the endpoint.  In this case a single binding.ws could result in multiple
> > WSDL binding elements to describe it.  In all the other cases I believe
> > there is a 1-1 correspondance between WSDL and SCA bindings for the service
> >
> > S2) I want to expose a SOAP endpoint and it has to support a single
> > specific SOAP version.
> >
> > Use a qualified SOAP intent (SOAP.1_1 or SOAP.1_2) on the service binding
> >
> > a) if I point at a SOAP binding/port using the wsdlElement then it must
> > match the specific SOAP version, if not its an error.
> > b) if I don't point at a SOAP binding/port using the wsdlElement
> > attribute, then only the specified version of SOAP is supported by the
> > endpoint.
> >
> > S3) I want to expose a SOAP endpoint that must support more than one
> > specific SOAP version.
> >
> > This cannot be done with a single binding.ws element.
> > Have one binding.ws for each required SOAP version following S2) above.
> > Runtimes may to allow each binding.ws to be exposed at the same endpoint
> > address, but I don't think that's necessary for all SCA runtimes.
> >
> > S4) I want to expose a SOAP endpoint that must at least support a
> > specific SOAP version, but is allowed to support other SOAP versions.
> >
> > This cannot be done with a single binding.ws element.
> > Use two binding.ws, following S1b) and S2) above.
> >
> > S5) I want to expose a web service endpoint, and have the binding
> > details taken from what the wsdlElement points at, whatever that is.
> >
> > Use no SOAP intent on the service binding.
> >
> > For a reference:
> >
> > R1) I want to invoke a service using SOAP, with the specific SOAP
> > version resolved by choice of port from the wsdlElement.
> >
> > Use SOAP intent on the reference binding.
> >
> > When determining the set of available WSDL ports, only those that
> > support SOAP (of any version) and satisfy the other binding policy
> > requirements are included.
> >
> > R2) I want to invoke a service using a specific SOAP version.
> >
> > Use a qualified SOAP intent (SOAP.1_1 or SOAP.1_2) on the reference binding
> >
> > When determining the set of available WSDL ports, only those that
> > support SOAP of the specified version and satisfy the other binding
> > policy requirements are included.
> >
> > R3) I want to invoke a service using any of a given set of SOAP versions.
> >
> > This cannot be done with a single binding.ws element.
> > Have one binding.ws for each required SOAP version following R2) above.
> >
> The words "any of a given set" and "required SOAP version" don't

The intention of this wording was to say that the requirement is to be able to invoke the service using one of a set of specific SOAP versions, e.g. pick one of SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2.

Having said that I don't think this is valid but not particularly compelling scenario.

> I think the scenario is that the client wants
> to use (for example) either 1_1 or 1_2 and requires the service
> to provide at least one of these.  Using the approach you are
> suggesting, the service would need to make endpoints available for
> both 1_1 and 1_2 so that both of the <binding.ws> elements on the
> reference are valid.  If the service only had (for example) a
> 1_1 endpoint, the client's 1_2 reference binding couldn't be
> satisfied and the client deployment would fail.

I imagined that this would be a subset of the set of versions of SOAP provided by the service - otherwise of course this won't work as you say.

> A further inconvenience is that the client implementation would
> need to provide a reference with multiplicity 1..n and the
> application code would receive an array of reference proxies,
> one for each available SOAP version.  The choice between these
> would need to be made by business logic instead of being left
> to the SCA runtime.

I'm not sure I follow that.  Does a reference have to have multiplicity 1..n to have multiple valid bindings?  What would go wrong if the multiplicity is 1..1 and there are multiple bindings that satisfy the constraints?