Subject: Re: CD02 packages for SCA Bindings specs ready for publication

Mary,

The situation is that the "latest" file names, and indeed what we want for the public review draft and beyond is to use the form sca-binding-XYZ, whereas in cd01 when it was published, the document contained the "latest" file names using the form sca-XYZbinding.  I agree that we shouldn't go back and update the documents. Do the "latest" URLs point at copies of the most recent documents, or do they redirect to a single copy?

So what we need in order to allow the "latest" links from cd01 to work is for both forms of latest URL to point to the cd02 versions of the documents.  i.e. both

http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-bindings/sca-binding-jms-1.1-spec.html     and
http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-bindings/sca-jmsbinding-1.1-spec.html

need to point to (or at least load the same document as):

http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-bindings/sca-binding-jms-1.1-spec-cd02.html

and the same for the .doc and .pdf files.  We're not taking anything away here, just adding an additional URL.

I'm not sure what the problem with this is, I certainly don't want to be forced to use the incorrect version of the latest URL for now and to eternity.

Regards, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com

Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>

22/05/2009 13:33

Simon Holdsworth/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: CD02 packages for SCA Bindings specs ready for publication

Hi Simon,

  I'm sorry - it looks like that never made it into my queue. My apologies!

  We can't change the name of the latest version once established - that breaks the reasoning behind them. We never edit files once they've been uploaded, and we have no idea how many people may have downloaded the file and will expect the link to work going forward. We also don't support redirects.

  It's okay that the current filename and the latest version filename are slightly different from my perspective; in all likelihood people are clicking on the link and not paying too much attention to the filename. The new filename doesn't seem to be that different from the old one that should someone have downloaded the file, they would be misled by the naming.

  Let me know if you want me to edit the files or if you will provide updated copies for uploading.

Regards,

Mary

Mary P McRae
Director, Standards Development
Technical Committee Administrator
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
web: www.oasis-open.org
twitter: fiberartisan  #oasisopen
phone: 1.603.232.9090

Standards are like parachutes: they work best when they're open.

I sent this note some time ago, but did not get a response, and I can't see any of the updated versions available on the OASIS site.

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know when these updated versions of the specifications will be published.

Thanks, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet -
Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by Simon Holdsworth/UK/IBM on 22/05/2009 10:16 -----
Simon Holdsworth/UK/IBM

02/03/2009 11:27

<mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
CD02 packages for SCA Bindings specs ready for publication

Mary,

I have prepared the following packages for publication containing the CD02 versions of the SCA bindings specs, and would appreciate it if you could publish them on the OASIS website:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-bindings/download.php/31480/sca-binding-ws-1.1-spec-cd02.zip

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-bindings/download.php/31479/sca-binding-jms-1.1-spec-cd02.zip

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-bindings/download.php/31478/sca-binding-jca-1.1-spec-cd02.zip

The only specific note I have is that we changed the naming of these documents, so that the latest link on the old cd01 pages, which currently point to (for example):

http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-bindings/sca-wsbinding-1.1-spec.html

now need to point to:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-bindings/sca-binding-ws-1.1-spec.html

I guess that can be done by redirecting the 3 URLs or modifying the 3 cd01 HTML pages for WS, JMS and JCA bindings.

The cd02 packages all point to this latest URL.

Thanks, Simopn