Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] JCA & JMS specs

Eric, thanks for the comments, responses inline; I've uploaded JMS binding cd02-rev3 with editorial changes as identified.

Here's the diff between rev3 and original cd02:

Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com> wrote on 17/06/2009 20:07:49:

> PDF for JMS does not hyperlink normative statements, references, nor
> does it have a table of contents.  (Weirdness - Okular the KDE 4.X
> PDF view, does not link the URLs at the beginning of the document,
> but Adobe Reader does)

OK, this seems to be an issue with my using Word 2003 and cute PDF to generate the PDF documents :(  Unfortunately I don't have any other means of doing so.

> The specifications overall are inconsistent about typographical
> conventions for referring to elements and attributes.  The WS
> Binding spec doesn't do anything special, but the JMS spec appears to use
> bold/italic when referring to an element or attribute.  For
> comparison, I checked with the Assembly spec, and it seems
> inconsistent, sometimes it uses bold/italic, however sometimes the
> Assembly spec refers to "foo element", and sometimes it refers to "foo
> element".  I also note places in Assembly where bold and italic are
> not applied.
>
> Some clarity on what we should do might be useful.

I agree, although I think that's something we can defer until after after the public review draft.  I did note some formatting concerns a few months ago, about fonts and default para formats being inconsistent across the specs.  i've tried to be consistent in the JMS binding spec with bold/italic for all element/attribute names.

> Also, we might want to define a standard for references - do we want
> to include the title of the reference with the first reference to
> it, or not.  The WS Binding spec generally cuts to the chase, and I
> have a personal preference for that.  That is, do we do "SCA
> Assembly Specification [SCA-Assembly]", or just "[SCA-Assembly]"?

I agree with Mike Edwards's comment that it would be best to have the name of the link and then the token in all cases. I've done that in a couple of places in the updated JMS binding revision.

> JMS spec: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.
> php/32790/sca-binding-jms-1.1-spec-cd02-rev2.pdf
>
> line 134: "... the generic JMS binding type. The type..."
> Technically, it is an element.  --> "... the generic JMS binding
> element.  The element...".

Applied.

> line 137, 158, 159, 160, 333-334: " as defined in the SCA Assembly
> Specification [SCA-Assembly]" --> " as defined in [SCA-Assembly]"

As per the above, I've ensured it appears as SCA Assembly Specification [SCA-Assembly] everywhere

> line 145: the proposed IETF JMS scheme doesn't follow this pattern.
> Instead it follows "jms:jndi:<jms-dest>?..."

OK, I've made the example consistent at least with the 05 revision of the URI syntax

> Shame-faced confession: If you go and look for the IETF proposal, at
> the moment, you will not find it.

Google on draft-merrick-jms-uri-05.txt  ;)

> We were going to update it a few
> weeks back (before the previous draft expired), when we discovered
> that IETF changed their legal disclosure requirements.  That sent a
> bunch of us scrambling to talk to lawyers to make sure we do the
> right thing.  I should be posting a new version by some time next
> week - of course, since the old one expired, I might find some new
> hurdle to overcome that will delay this slightly.
>
> Note that issue 20, we resolved to follow the IETF here.  Do we need
> another issue to update this again?  Of course, it is probably hard
> to follow the IETF proposal, when it isn't even available...

For the moment I don't think we can do any better than is in the footnote

> lines 524 - 529: In other places, rather than have such a large
> normative statement, we've created a definition of a notion, and
> then had a normative statement referring to that notion.

OK, I've split out the definition of the callback destination outside the normative statement.

Yes, this is issue 74, latest email: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bindings/200906/msg00036.html

> JCA spec: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.
> php/32791/sca-binding-jca-1.1-spec-cd02-rev2.pdf
>
> Table of contents shows "Error: Bookmark not defined"

I think this is probably the same issue with Word 2003 and CutePDF...