Subject: NEW ISSUE: binding.jms Normative definition of operation selector behaviour

TARGET: SCA JMS Binding Specification CD-02 rev 3

The JMS binding Section 4, "Operation Selectors and Wire Formats"  describes an expected behaviour regarding the operation that is selected by the operation selector, the operationProperties element, and the operation that is invoked on the target component.  There is no normative text relating to this, however it is a behaviour that assemblers would want to rely on from an SCA runtime.

The problem I have with formulating normative statements though is that it is about the runtime behaviour of componentry that we have no other definition for.

I don't think its critical to resolve this issue prior to public review; I'm raising this issue so that I can remove the current commentary from the JMS binding spec document.

PROPOSAL:

Replace the text:

When the JMS binding receives a message, the operationSelector is used to generate a selected operation name from the message content.  The selected operation name is then mapped to an operation in the service’s interface via a matching operationProperties element in the JMS binding.  If there is no matching element, the operation name is assumed to be the same as the selected operation name

With the following:

When the service with a JMS binding receives a message, the SCA runtime resolves the name of the operation in the service's interface that is to be invoked by using the operationSelector and opeationProperties elements defined for the binding.  The resolved operation name is defined as follows:

When a message is received at an SCA service with JMS binding, the SCA runtime MUST invoke the target component using the resolved operation name [BJMXXXXX]

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com