Subject: Cross reference vs. hyperlinks

Folks,

In making final edits to the JMS binding spec, I see that there is some inconsistency in the way that links to external references are handled.

In some cases, the link is a cross-reference, using the reference text (e.g. [JMS])

In others, the link is a hyperlink, using the reference text, but without the square brackets (e.g. [RFC2119] )

In others, the link is a hyperlink, using the reference text including square brackets.

The difference between cross-references and hyperlinks is that the hyperlinks appear with a different style in the Word document, and can have any text associated with them, cross-references do not appear with a different style, and the text is limited to something derived from the target of the cross-reference.

In the version of the document I'm uploading, I'm updating all external references to be hyperlinks, where the text of the hyperlink is the textual reference plus the tag in square brackets; another item to add to the list for editorial consistency.

Regards, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com