Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Comments on CD02-rev5 binding.jms

<pedantic>
I agree that encoding="ASCII" in our examples is a bad idea. But it
should not be assumed that sticking UTF-8 necessarily solves all the
problems of cut-paste-edit. The editor used may not recognize the XML
encoding attribute (or is it pseudo-attribute?) and may save it in a
non-UTF8 format. This (UTF-16) is actually not uncommon for say Japanese
characters, where UTF-16 is preferred as it results in a smaller disk
size for the file. If portability is a concern *and* if the XML decl is
to be retained, we should not include the encoding pseudo-attribute at
all. The assumption here being that in the cut-paste-edit scenario the
editor would do the Right Thing wrt byte-order marks. I think this is a
safer assumption.
</pedantic>

Something to be considered post-PR.