Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Cross reference vs. hyperlinks

Ah, I think you misunderstand.  The hyperlinks I was referring to within the document body refer to the location in the document where the reference is defined, not directly to external locations, so essentially the same as a cross reference.  The problem with cross reference is that the text that links to the reference section can only be the bookmark name.  With a hyperlink you can have one link that is "SCA Assembly Specification [SCA-Assembly]".  With cross reference you can make the "[SCA-Assembly]" clickable, but not the "SCA Assembly Specification", I believe.

Regards, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com

Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com>

25/06/2009 08:43

Simon Holdsworth/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
OASIS Bindings <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [sca-bindings] Cross reference vs. hyperlinks

Simon,
In the Java specs, external references are represented by an internal
cross-reference to the relevant item in section 1.2, which contains a
full list of related documents with external hyperlinks.

I think this approach works well and is better than having external
hyperlinks scattered through the document.

  Simon