Subject: Comment on proposal to BINDINGS-88

Comments on proposed resolution to BINDINGS-88 "JCA Missing Normative statements re: connection/@name and activationSpec/@name"

My main concern is that we should resolve this issue with text that is consistent with what we have in the JMS binding spec, where relevant.

Here's the text from the JCA binding CD03 regarding connection factory create being "never":

•        /binding.jca/outboundConnection/connection/@name – if the @create attribute is “never”, the name uniquely identifies an existing instance of the managed connection factory.
If the connection/@create attribute is “always”, the @name value MUST be unique within the domain [BJC20007].

The definitions for JMS binding are on the destination element's @jndiName attribute (note that for JMS, we changed "name" to "jndiName" and collected together the cases for @create in issue 31) these definitions describe the behaviour of the @create attribute for all the resources in the JMS binding, destination connection factory and activation spec.

The JMS binding deals with "never" by saying that "the [...] attribute MUST specify the location of the existing resource";  and with "always" by saying "if the resource cannot be created at the specified location then the SCA runtime MUST raise an error".

If we want the wording to be at least consistent, we would update the JCA statements about connection and activationSpec as:

•        /binding.jca/outboundConnection/connection/@name – if the @create attribute is “never”, the @name attribute MUST specify the location of the existing connection [BJC2000X].
If the connection/@create attribute is “always”, and the resource identified by the @name attribute cannot be created at the specified location then the SCA runtime MUST raise an error [BJC20007].

and

•        /binding.jca/inboundConnection/activationSpec/@name – if the @create attribute is “never”, the @name attribute MUST specify the location of the existing activation spec [BJC2000X].
If the activationSpec/@create attribute is “always”, and the resource identified by the @name attribute cannot be created at the specified location then the SCA runtime MUST raise an error [BJC20013].

It would be better I think to refactor the JCA wording so that all the statements about the behaviour of the @name and @create attributes are in one place as in the JMS binding spec, which would effectively mean applying the resolution to issue BINDINGS-31 to the JCA binding spec, but that of course requires someone take the time to do so...

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com