Subject: Issues BINDINGS-88 and BINDINGS-89 - modified JCA binding spec doc

Here's an updated JCA binding spec where I've rename @name to @jndiName and copied over the 7 normative statements regarding combination of @create values and @jndiName from the JMS binding specification:

Regards, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com

__________________

Looking back at the JCA binding spec I have a distinct sense of deja vu -  where we addressed the vagueness of the "name" attribute that refers to resources located in JNDI, and removed the concept of a "plain name".

My preference in resolving these two issues would be to make the JMS and JCA binding specs consistent with respect to the identification of resources (connection factories, activation specs and resource adapters) and the text that describes and defines their behaviour. I can't think of any reason why there would need to be a difference between the two specifications with regards to the definition of the location of these resources and the behaviour with respect to creation/use of existing resources.

With regard to the particular issue in BINDINGS-88 and BINDINGS-89, my feeling is that saying:   "create='always' requires that the resource does not already exist" and "create='never' requires that the resource already exists"  are sufficient and saying that the name must be unique is superfluous (and begs the question over what domain) so we should remove the normative statements that state uniqueness as a requirement.

So in terms of a direction to resolve BINDINGS-88 and BINDINGS-89, I would feel most comfortable with one that as much as possible copies text from the JMS binding spec, and where the connection/@name and activationSpec/@name attributes are renamed "@jndiName" and re-typed to be "xs:anyURI".

I'll put together a version of the spec with these changes for people to take a look at.

Regards, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com

sca-jcabinding-1.1-spec-cd03-issue88_89.doc