Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Re: Issue BINDINGS-113

On 2/11/2010 4:31 AM, Simon Holdsworth wrote:

> BINDINGS-113 states:

> BWS20006 says --
> "When an invocation is made using an SCA reference binding with the
> wsdl.service form of wsdlElement, the SCA runtime MUST use exactly one
> port from the set of available ports for the reference (with port
> selection on a per-invocation basis permitted)."
>
> This is, at the very least, untestable. But I think it is also a
> pointless stmt. If the selection is made on a per-invocation basis, and
> if *an* invocation can involve only one endpoint (which I think it
> does), then this is a redundant statement. It can never be violated, but
> definition.
>
> Proposal:
>
> Remove BWS20006.
>
> The intention of this statement is to say for a reference, when the
> binding points at a WSDL service, which could have more than one
> available port, that the reference can use any of those ports for any
> invocation, but that it must not use other ports that are not included
> in the service description.

You are right that the current wordings has the implication you mention.
But I didn't think that was the reason for adding this. The reason for
adding this was, as Dave pointed out, to prevent someone doing a fan-out.

Of more importance, isn't this true for all cases and not just the WSDL
service case? I.e., if the binding points to a WSDL port, then an
invocation on the ref binding MUST result in use of that port and not
some other port?