Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] NEW ISSUE: No conformance statement for SCA WSCallback Protocol

On 2/25/2010 12:14 AM, Mike Edwards wrote:

> Anish,
>
> I have no problem with you raising this issue.
>
> I do have a problem with raising this issue with no proposed resolution.
> What proposal do you have for conformance to the WS Callback protocol?
>
> One thing I note is that a non-SCA client is not something that should
> be in the
> scope of the conformance statements of the SCA specifications. I think
> that it
> is reasonable for the SCA specifications to describe the conformance
> requirements for an SCA runtime to conform to the WS Callback protocol.
> However, what a non-SCA program does with the protocol is beyond our
> jurisdiction.

In that case, the notion that WS-* is SCA's answer to interop outside
the domain boundary has no basis. Or at the very least SCA bidirectional
interfaces/services are not interoperable.
The primary reason to define this protocol here is to provide interop
outside the domain boundary, otherwise an implementation can implement
the callback mechanism whichever way it ways. Without such a need to
interop, I don't know why we spent time defining this.

> The protocol specifications can say what the SCA runtime must or should
> do in
> the case of a partner that "misbehaves" (ie sends messages that do not
> conform
> to the protocol) - but it cannot say what the partner must or should do.

What kind of a partner? Inside the domain? If so, then the SCA runtime
is not conformant. In any case how would you know that -- this stuff
happens on the wire, unless you are examining the messages you have no idea.
If the partner is outside the domain, then it is a Callback protocol client.

In any case, we are defining a protocol. We are defining a SOAP-based
protocol that can be, (and I'll argue needs to be) and is, completely
independent of an SCA runtime. All it needs is the definition of what a
callback means and something in the WSDL that tells the WSDL consumer
what to do. Oh, wait, but we already have that ;-)

A SOAP-based protocol to achieve a common usecase of callback, with a
good definition of what a callback means. Check.
A WSDL extension to correlate forward and callback interface/portTypes.
Check.
A WS-Policy assertion to assert the use of the protocol. Check.
Seems like it walks, talks and quacks like a SOAP/WSDL/WS-Policy based
WS-* spec to me.