Subject: Raw chat log of 2010-02-25 call

Simon Holdsworth: Audio conference:

Meeting Number: * 913929 * (press * before and after the digits)

Phone numbers:

Austria = Vienna 026822056419
Belgium = Brussels 022901709
China = Beijing 01052237296
Czech Republic = Prague 239014054
Denmark = Copenhagen 32714982
France = Lyon 0426840196 Marseille 0488915310 Paris 0170994364
France TollFree = 0800944795
Germany = Berlin 030726167296 Dusseldorf 021154073845 Frankfurt
069710445413 Hamburg 040809020620 Munich 089244432767 Stuttgart
0711490813212
Germany TollFree = 08006646304
India = Mumbai 02261501417
Ireland = Dublin 014367612
Italy = Milan 0230413007 Rome 06452108288 Turin 01121792100
Japan = Tokyo 0357675037
Netherlands = Amsterdam 0207965349
Poland Toll-free = 008001213648
Portugal Toll Free = 800782079
Russia = Moscow 84999222481
Russia Toll Free = 81080022074011
South Africa Toll-free = 0800982617
Spain = Barcelona 934923140 Madrid 917889793
Sweden = Stockholm 0850520404
Switzerland = Geneva 0225927186
UAE Toll-free = 8000440387
UK = Birmingham 01212604587 London 02071542988 Manchester 01612500379
UK Toll Free = 08003581667
USA = 19543344789
USA & Canada Toll Free = 18665289390

Simon Holdsworth: 1. Opening

Introductions
Roll call

Scribe assignment

Top of the scribe list:
Plamen Pavlov SAP AG
Tom Rutt Fujitsu Limited
Anish Karmarkar Oracle Corporation
Ashok Malhotra Oracle Corporation
Martin Chapman Oracle Corporation
David Booz IBM
Eric Johnson TIBCO Software Inc.
Laurent Domenech TIBCO Software Inc.
Bryan Aupperle IBM

Agenda bashing

2. Approval of the minutes from 11th February:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/36498/SCA%20Bindings%20minutes%202010-02-18.doc

3. Actions

20090211-4 [General] Write up HTTP binding use cases
20090709-2 [Editors] Update the WS binding schema appendix title to
include 1.1
20091015-3 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #1 - review and determine
appropriate update to copyright dates (all specs)
20091015-4 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #2 - clarify the text
describing the JCA binding (JCA only)
20091015-5 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #3 - revise text to reword or
remove as appropriate (JCA only)
20091015-7 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #6 - clean up the text with
regards to this item (JCA only)
20091015-8 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #8 - look at whether the
non-normative references section is relevant still, or needs to be
populated (all specs)
20091015-9 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #9 - clean up naming
conventions section (all specs)
20091015-10 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #10 - look for cleanup to
clarify optionality (all specs)
20091015-11 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #11 - do something to
clarify the different uses for the @uri attribute (JCA only)
20091015-12 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #16 - mark Annexes as
normative or not as appropriate (all specs)
20100218-1 [Editors] Make corresponding changes in JMS spec as per
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bindings/200912/msg00013.html
20100218-2 [Editors] Make corresponding changes in WS spec as per
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bindings/200912/msg00013.html
20100218-3 [Editors] Make corresponding changes in JMS spec as per
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bindings/201002/msg00033.html

4. New Issues

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-118
BWS40005 is ambiguous

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-120
Missing normative statements for JCA @uri

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-121
Missing normative statements for binding.jca inboundOperation

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-122
Missing normative statements for binding.jca outboundInteraction

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-123
Missing normative statements for @type attributes

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-124 (?)
No conformance statement for SCA WS Callback Protocol
(not currently in JIRA)

5. Discuss proposed TC schedule

25th February: Resolve/close out existing issues (87, 111, 11
4th March: Initial discussion on test case documents and test cases;
bindings specs updated and ready for review for cd04;
11th March: cd04 vote on bindings specs; continue discussion on test
cases; TA documents updated and ready for review for cd01;
18th March: cd01 vote on TA documents; Initial test case documents and
test cases prepared for discussion/review
25th March: Submit cd04 of bindings specs for second public review;
submit cd01 of TA documents for public review

6. Test Assertions/Test cases

Current status:

Overall: Awaiting current set of issues to be resolved and applied, at
which point editors will need to update TA docs and then we can review
them with the aim of getting to CD.

Web Service binding TA document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/34571/sca-wsbinding-1.1-test-assertions-wd02.odt

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/34572/sca-wsbinding-1.1-test-assertions-wd02.pdf

resolved issues

JMS TA document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/36374/sca-jmsbinding-1.1-test-assertions-wd05.doc

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/36375/sca-jmsbinding-1.1-test-assertions-wd05.pdf

JCA TA document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/36155/sca-jcabinding-1.1-test-assertions-wd04.doc

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/36156/sca-jcabinding-1.1-test-assertions-wd04.pdf

Comment:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bindings/200909/msg00011.html

7. Open issue discussion

Public review comment issues:

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-87
Web Service callback standard is best done by the appropriate Web
Services working groups
Raiser: PR comment, owner: Unassigned

Other open issues:

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-111
binding.jms uses JMS URI scheme even though it is not a valid IETF
internet draft
Raiser: Eric Johnson, owner: Unassigned
IETF draft

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-60
JMS Default wire format insufficient to cover real world usage
Raiser: Mike Edwards, owner: Simon Holdsworth

8. AOB

anish: Scribe: Anish Karmarkar

anish: ScribeNick: anish

anish: Topic: Agenda reiview

anish: No comments. Agenda Approved

anish: Topic: Approval of minutes

anish: Resolution: minutes of 2010-02-11 call located at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/36498/SCA%20Bindings%20minutes%202010-02-18.doc
approved

anish: Topic: AI Review

anish: 20091015-3 [Editors] Re: BINDINGS-99 point #1 - review and
determine appropriate update to copyright dates (all specs)
DONE, nothing to do

anish: 20091015-4 20091015-5 & 20091015-7 are DONE

anish: 20091015-8, 20091015-9, 20091015-10 are done for JMS and JCA,
still pending for WS binding

anish: 20091015-11 is DONE

anish: 20100218-1 and 20100218-3 are DONE

anish: Rest are PENDING

anish: Topic: new issue 118

anish: Motion: Dave moves, Anish seconds to open issue 118

anish: motion approved w/o

anish: Resolution: Issue 118 is now open

anish: Topic: new issue 120

anish: Simon: 120-123 are similar and came out of the ed. AI

anish: http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-120
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-121
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-122
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-123

anish: The issues are about the fact that there is no normative behavior
specified

anish: Motion: anish moves Bryan seconds to open issue 120

anish: Motion: anish moves Bryan seconds to open issue 120

Dave Booz pings

anish ping

anish: Motion: anish moves Bryan seconds to open issue 120

anish: motion approved w/o

anish: Resolution: issue 120 is open

anish: Topic: New issue 121

anish: http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-121

anish: simon explains the issue

anish: motion: dave moves bryan seconds to open issue 121

anish: motion approved w/o

anish: Resolution: issue 121 is open

anish: Topic: new issue 122

anish: http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-122

anish: Simon explains issue 122

anish: motion: mike moves bryan seconds to open issue 122

anish: motion approved w/o

anish: Resolution: issue 122 is open

anish: Topic: new issue 123

anish: http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-123

anish: Simon explains issue 123

anish: motion: mike moves bryan seconds to open issue 123

anish: motion approved w/o

anish: Resolution: issue 123 is open

anish: Topic: Discuss proposed TC schedule

anish: 25th February: Resolve/close out existing issues (87, 111, 11
4th March: Initial discussion on test case documents and test cases;
bindings specs updated and ready for review for cd04;
11th March: cd04 vote on bindings specs; continue discussion on test
cases; TA documents updated and ready for review for cd01;
18th March: cd01 vote on TA documents; Initial test case documents and
test cases prepared for discussion/review
25th March: Submit cd04 of bindings specs for second public review;
submit cd01 of TA documents for public review

anish: anish: TA review may raise issues that may result in CD05 before PR

anish: Bryan: not sure if there is a point in doing TA review without
test cases

anish: Dave: agree

anish: simon: in that case, what is a reasonable time frame for test cases

Eric Johnson: (aside: http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-124 has
been logged)

anish: Mike: how many normative statement are there?

anish: Simon: don't know

anish: Mike: my guess is that it'll take a month

anish: Mike: don't see a problem for JMS and WS binding

anish: ... for JCA we don't have an impl, so don't know how to test the
test cases

anish: anish: do we want to do a PR of the spec before the test cases
are done?

anish: mike: we are not obliged to do another PR, if the changes are
substantial

anish: Simon: the changes are substantial

anish: mike: so we need another PR, the question of whether to delay the
2nd PR is interesting. For assembly, the changes from test cases were
not substantial

anish: Dave: for java the number of issues out of test cases is no more
than handful

anish: Byran: same for c/c++. We did discover duplicate normative stmts.
Mostly clarification.

anish: Dave: didn't introduce new functions, just clarifying normative
stmts and addition of non-normative stmt

anish: Mike: so doesn't look like the test cases throw up a lot of changes

anish: Simon: given this discussion it seems like it makes sense to take
the binding specs thru 2nd PR

anish: ... I'll update the proposed schedule based on this discussion

anish: Topic: new issue 124

anish: http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-124

anish: anish explains the issue

anish: Simon: the title of the issue is not right

anish: ... there is a conformance stmt just that not for the right target

anish: Mike: am puzzled as to what we need to say, section 5 already has
normative stmts

anish: anish: looking for a target for the protocol and something like a
section 6.3 that lists the stmts that one MUST implement etc

anish: Mike: dont' know what that would buy us.

Martin C: why are there normative statements if something cant comply to it

anish: anish: it helps in assigning blame, if something goes wrong

Martin C: something like an SCA Compatible Client?

anish: anish: important from an interop story

anish: eric: we have been over this before, but the TC is not interested
in having a stand along spec. We are are only interested in SCA runtimes

anish: Martin: we do have special cases where things outside the domain
is sca-aware. This will come in handy for federation (which is out of scope)

Eric Johnson: (I also mentioned that we'd have to define a new
conformance target in order to satisfy the notion behind this new issue)

anish: Dave: section 5 has bunch of stmt that say "SCA runtime" MUST do
something or the other, what would you do to fix this?

Simon Holdsworth lowered your hand

Tom Rutt: Anish wants to abstract the conformance target for the
callback protocol and then make sca runtime a real use of this abstract
target

anish: anish: don't want to split the spec and make it stand alone, that
is more of a formatting issue/optics issue -- which I like -- but this
is about creating appropriate targets with good conformance criteria

anish: anish: wrt Dave's question, i would not have the same statements
twice, but create targets for the protocol and say that in case of SCA
runtime it is acting in that target's role

anish: Eric: dont' think abstract is easy, you'll have to state more
things like must use SOAP, ws-i profiles etc

anish: Anish to send an updated title for the issue