Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 124 proposal version 2

Hi Anish,

On 03/24/2010 02:51 PM, Anish Karmarkar wrote:
4BAA8976.1090906@oracle.com" type="cite">Version 2 based on feedback from last week's call is attached.

* Fixed editorial bugs pointed out by EricJ in section 6.

* I did some due diligence on the question of whether creating independent conformance points for WSCB service/client results in a problem (as pointed out by EricJ), since the other non-section5 conformance items are no longer applicable to WSCB service/client. I found 5 assertions that are somewhat related (noted below). The others are about binding.ws syntactic elements/attributes or something similar.

Thanks for spending the time to do that.  I've been hoping to find the time to get to that all week, and didn't, so I'm glad you did.

4BAA8976.1090906@oracle.com" type="cite">
a) there is MUST for SOAP 1.1 and a SHOULD for SOAP 1.2. Section 5 also talks in several places about SOAP header blocks. Strictly speaking there is no necessity to require SOAP (1.1 or 1.2) for this protocol. It could depend only on WS-Addressing. But that is a separate issue. To fix this, I have changed the intro to 5.1 to state that this is a soap/ws-addressing based protocol. I didn't see a reason to introduce assertions for requiring SOAP/WS-A. It is required by definition. But if ppl feel strongly we can introduce new conformance items.

Seems sort of ironic, though, if we define this stand-alone protocol, and then it is possible to implement it in a way that is conformant, and yet not compatible with an SCA runtime.  Seems to me that we should require the equivalent level of SOAP support, and therefore have the MUST and SHOULD requirements around SOAP.

Maybe this is an equivalent nit, but we should likewise require support for HTTP & HTTPS.

BWS50010 is sort of tricky.  In the context of SCA, if someone uses the @wsdlElement form, then they'd be forced to support the WS-Policy spec, as well as this requirement to recognize this policy assertion when it appears in WSDL.  Yet if we step away from that, to this stand-alone definition, what's the conformance target for saying "if your WSCB supports WSDL, then you must support this policy assertion?"

Likewise for BWS50013 & 50014.
4BAA8976.1090906@oracle.com" type="cite">

b) There is a requirement for conforming to SCA assembly and policy. I don't think this is needed (it would defeat the purpose of the issue itself).

c) There is a SHOULD for http endpoints to provide a wsdl description when queried with ?wsdl and a SHOULD for non http endpoints to provide some way to obtain the WSDL descriptions. I didn't see a need to have this requirement on WSCB service/client endpoints. I see this as a SCA runtime requirement not a protocol requirement.

* wrt Dave's comment about BWS5005/7, I'm not sure what needs to change. I added a sentence at the beginning of section 5.1 that says that WSCB service implements the forward interface and the WSCB client implements the callback interface.

Comments?

Miscellaneous nit - Sections 6.2 & 6.3 reference Appendix B for "Conformance items related to WSCB...", but that shows up as Appendix C.

And in section C, I don't see that you've separated out the conformance requirements for WSCB client and server into a separate section.

Two minor editorial nits that I noticed, which Anish's proposal didn't change, per-se:
"There are four categories of artifacts for which... SCA WS Binding XML Document ... SCA Runtime"

Shouldn't this be (to match the plural form):
"There are four categories of artifacts for which... SCA WS Binding XML Documents ... SCA Runtimes"

I also don't like the use of "artifact" here, because I associate the word with something less operational than an "SCA Runtime".  Can't we just use the phrase:
"This specification defines four targets for conformance:"

-Eric

4BAA8976.1090906@oracle.com" type="cite">