Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 124 proposal version 2 - a comment

On 3/26/2010 5:05 PM, Eric Johnson wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Was their discussion of your point during the conference call?

My recollection is that there was a general consensus (rather, no one
objected) to open a new issue.

> What are the cases here?
>
>     * service, @wsdlElement references port - BWS20007 states that you
>       must somehow interpret policy from the WSDL, and that that policy
>       must match....
>     * service, @wsdlElement references binding - BWS20011 - ditto.
>     * reference, @wsdlElement references port - BWS20009 - ditto
>     * reference, @wsdlElement references binding - BWS20013 - ditto.
>     * reference, @wsdlElement references service - oops, looks like we
>       missed this case.

I believe this addresses a different issue. The above talks about SCA
Policy and not WS-Policy. There is no requirement to support WS-Policy
in SCA Policy.

> So my interpretation is that if you reference a WSDL directly, if you
> don't understand some policy language, then you'll be forced to reject
> scenarios that the customer expects you to accept. Yet, if I'm reading
> SCA-Policy correctly, a conforming runtime will already support
> WS-Policy.

I don't think this is a requirement.
A conforming runtime, I believe, is allowed to reject a composite that
uses WS-Policy.

> So the scenario is that it could somehow feign ignorance of
> WS-Policy when it encounters it in WSDL when used by binding.ws, but
> support it in other circumstances?

One factor to consider when WS-Policy is used in WSDL is whether
wsdl:required='true'. If not, it is ok to ignore the WS-Policy.

> I agree that there's a gap here, but it is a really small one.
>
> Here's a question: If I refer to a WSDL port, is it legitimate for an
> implementation to *add* policy implementation on top of a bare port
> declaration - that is one that doesn't have WS-Policy statements? For
> example:
>
>     * Can an implementation satisfy a policy intent with the use of
>       mutual SSL authentication, even if there's nothing about that
>       stated in the WSDL port that the @wsdlElement references (although
>       presumably it uses an "https" URL scheme)?

I believe this is possible.
In any case, as a general issue, I think it is hard to figure out
whether a particular intent was actually implemented.

>     * Likewise, can an implementation decide to use WS-RM even if the
>       referenced WSDL port doesn't state that in the WSDL?

I believe it is possible. The WSDL would set the minimum bar, you can
always do more. Especially, for things like WS-RM where there is a
handshake that takes place. Now, of course, if WS-RM is *required* and
it is not stated in WSDL, you have no chance of interop.