Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Comments on proposed resolution to BINDINGS-126

Folks,

Comments inline.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
To: Simon Holdsworth/UK/IBM@IBMGB
Cc: sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 09/04/2010 17:42

I think we should kick this over to the policy TC.
<mje>
I disagree.  It is not the place of the policy TC to mandate use of WS-Policy, since that
may well not be appropriate for specific bindings.  Meanwhile WS-Policy is certainly
relevant to binding.ws
</mje>

Assembly says that you must support policy and binding.ws, and it doesn't make sense to me that the binding.ws spec should be dictating that WS-Policy is supported, since anyone reading the SCA-Policy spec would expect to find that mandate in that spec.  If the Policy TC hasn't mandated this up until now, it doesn't make sense to me that the bindings TC should jump in - and I'd sure like to know why the Policy TC hasn't mandated it, if that question has come up.

<mje>
See above paragraph
</mje>

Feels to me like the policy TC should be dealing with some of the issues we identified on the call, and that Simon notes below:

<mje>
The testing question is a good one.  We can certainly test that an SCA runtime handles WS-Policy constructs
without causing errors.  Specific Policy assertions are a different issue - we dont mandate support for any specific
assertions and so as a result, I don't see how we can test for them.

Regarding intents, there is no conflict.  All that intents do are to make statements of requirements.  Intents get satisfied
in one of 2 ways:   a) by the binding type inherently understanding them (the SOAP intents are probably of this kind for
binding.ws   b) by one or more policySet attached to the relevant SCA element (either directly or via external attach).

In the first case, it is entirely up to the binding implementation to decide how it is satisfying the intent - but that IF there is
some WS-Policy statement from some other source (eg in a WSDL) the implementation must determine if there is a conflict
and if so, it must raise an error.  For the second case, the policySet may make have some policy assertions that conflict
with other policy assertions that come from another source such as a supplied WSDL.  Again, if there is a conflict (eg
"use encryption type X"  versus "use encryption type Y") then the SCA runtime must raise an error.

As to whether requirements are different for a reference versus for a service, I think the answer is "no"
</mje>

The problem seems different depending on whether you're defining a binding on a service or a reference. Although I've not thought about it too hard, I can't see that anything except the intervention of a human can resolve the potential discrepancies between policy intents and actual WS-Policy statements found in a WSDL.  At that point, some poor administrator/deployer has to look at the WSDL component pointed at by wsdlElement, look at the policy intents, and look at any policySets that have been applied to satisfy that intent, and then that admin will typically(?) discard the WS-Policy information in the WSDL component.

So then what's the point of having WS-Policy statements in the referenced WSDL?  I'd actually go the other direction, if we were to state anything normative, and suggest that an SCA Runtime MAY discard any WS-Policy statements found in the WSDL pointed at by wsdlElement.  That would make more sense to the deployer.

<mje>
Well, I can agree that having policy statements in multiple places is not a good plan.

Personally, I would not put such statements into the WSDL.

However, there is one clear use case I can think of - the use of a "fully adorned" WSDL on a reference, where the WSDL
has simply been picked up from the (external) service targeted by the reference.  Discarding any WS-Policy statements
in there would not be very helpful since then the deployer would have to tweak the policySet(s) applied to the reference
to produce the same overall policy configuration.
</mje>

All of the above circles around a question for me - do we collectively have enough understanding of implementation considerations to know what should be normatively asserted?

I should add, I'm not trying to play the role of wet blanket.  I suspect most, or even all implementations, if/when they support any sort of policy on the wsdlElement target, or expose policy in generated WSDL, will use WS-Policy, because there aren't really any alternatives.  I just don't know the details of how they'll support it.  Normative requirements here remind me of a tar pit.

-Eric.