Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] BINDINGS-127: Problems with the Extension Points in theXSD for binding.ws

Anish,

Both are good points.

I'll post a revised proposal for binding.ws.

The changes proposed for wireFormat and operationSelector base types will then have to be forwarded to the Assembly TC
as these are defined in the sca-core.xsd.  :-(

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 14/04/2010 19:05

Two comments below.

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BINDINGS-127

> -Eric.
>
> On 04/14/2010 03:37 AM, Mike Edwards wrote:
>>
>> Target: sca-wsbinding-1.1-spec-cd03-rev3.doc

>> The SCA XSDs mix two different forms of extensibility and this causes
>> significant problems such as UPA errors.
>>
>> The two forms of extensibility are:
>>
>> 1) The use of substitution groups for the extensibility of:
>>
>> implementation
>> interface
>> binding
>> wireFormat
>> operationSelector
>> importBase
>> exportBase
>>
>> 2) The use of
>>
>> <any namespace="##other" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0"
>> maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>>
>> for extensibility in many locations
>>

>> A UPA problem potentially exists in any place where ONE or MORE of the
>> elements in the list 1) above is declared
>> to be used within another element in combination with 2) in a sequence
>> or choice where it may occur that one of the
>> list 1) elements is validly succeeded by an <any/> of the form in 2).
>> IF an extended version of any of the 1) elements
>> is created, in a non-sca namespace (this is REQUIRED for any
>> non-standard extension), then a UPA error will be
>> reported whenever such an extension is used.
>>
>> This occurs in the XSD sca-binding-ws-1.1-cd04.xsd
>>
>> <complexType name="WebServiceBinding">
>> <complexContent>
>> <extension base="sca:Binding">
>> <sequence>
>> <element name="endpointReference" type="wsa:EndpointReferenceType"
>> minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>> <any namespace="##other" processContents="lax"
>> minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>> </sequence>
>> <attribute name="wsdlElement" type="anyURI" use="optional"/>
>> <attribute ref="wsdli:wsdlLocation" use="optional"/>
>> </extension>
>> </complexContent>
>> </complexType>
>>
>> The sca:Binding base contains both wireFormat and operationSelector
>> elements - these then clash with the <any/> extensibility
>>
>> Proposal:
>>
>> Replace the <any/> extensibility with extensibility using the
>> sca:extensions element as follows:
>>
>> <complexType name="WebServiceBinding">
>> <complexContent>
>> <extension base="sca:Binding">
>> <sequence>
>> <element name="endpointReference" type="wsa:EndpointReferenceType"
>> minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

If we have sca:extensions element, we don't need to define
sca:endpointReference we can just reuse the WSA element:
<element ref="wsa:endpointReference minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

In addition, I don't think the <any> in operationSelector and wireFormat
is necessary. We should remove it. That would make it consistent with
the other substitution group heads that we have.