Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Conformance section for the testcases spec: proposal

Folks,

I think that this needs to be treated as 2 issues - one against the Testcases document, one against the
main spec document.

Yours, Mike

Dr Mike Edwards  Mail Point 146, Hursley Park
STSM  Winchester, Hants SO21 2JN
SCA & Services Standards  United Kingdom
Co-Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC
IBM Software Group
Phone: +44-1962 818014
Mobile: +44-7802-467431 (274097)
e-mail: mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: OASIS Bindings <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 24/02/2011 08:23

Last week I took an AI to produce a proposal for modifying the
conformance section of the testcases spec. This email contains such a
proposal (and more).

Note that this AI was a result of a discussing we had regarding a TAB
comment that the SCA-J TC received. Specifically, the fact that the
OASIS process requires that all CS/OS have a conformance section.
Currently our testcase document says there is no conformance criteria.

1) Proposal for WS binding testcase document (once we agree on this
spec, we can adapt it to suite JMS/JCA testcase docs):

-----
An implementation that claims to conform to this specification MUST be
able to run all applicable tests in Section 2 TestCases, producing the
Expected Output. As described in Section 1.1.2 Test Application the test
suite can be adapted to suit the requirements of a specific
implementation technology by replacing second-level composites,
replacing binding used to connect from the top-level composite to the
client application, replacing the contributions BWS_nnn_Java and
BWS_General_Java with appropriate implementation technology specific
contributions, and by changing the appropriate system or environment
variable.

Note that conforming to this specification is considered a necessary
though not a sufficient condition to conform to the [SCA-WSBinding]
specification.
-----

2) Proposal to change the conformance section of the main spec:

I would like to go even further and make passing the test suite a
necessary condition to conform to the main spec. To that end here is a
proposal to modify the conformance section 6.4 of the main spec by
adding the following bullet:

""7. The implementation MUST meet all the conformance requirements
defined by the TestCases for the SCA Web Services Binding Specification
Version 1.1 [WSBinding-TC]."

[The normative ref section will have to be updated to include a
reference to the WS Binding TC spec]

3) Conformance section of the TA doc:

I don't have a good way forward on this one. There isn't anything that
can conform to the TA doc. The TA doc was a way to debug our specs and a
stepping stone to get to the TestCase document. We can leave the doc as
is OR decide that the TA doc can be a Committee Note instead of a CS/OS.