Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Recent SCA interest

Hi Jeff,

On 7/12/13 1:11 PM, Jeff Mischkinsky wrote:
yeah, but if it doesn't CONFORM, i.e. meet ALL the conformance requirements as set out in the spec(s), then its not SCA, it's something that is maybe kind of like SCA --
  I haven't looked at this specific project to know how close it comes to conforming, just making a general comment about the confusion created when someone say they have implemented part of a spec, and somehow that means that there is now an implementation of that spec.

So? It doesn't conform? It doesn't conform to what - oh, that's right, its an as-yet-to-be-completed standard.

The implied question that Jim answered was whether there was any interest in the set of specifications, not the question you're answering. You've argued on the phone that the exit criteria specified were a minimum. OK, an allowable position. Jim is noting that more than the minimum has been achieved. And you continue to do try to disqualify his evidence by various means - in this case by trying to change the question. Color me not impressed.

note: i'm just not being pedantic here. If you carefully read the IPR policy, the IPR protections ONLY kick in for implementations of the complete spec(s), as defined by the conformance clauses. An IPR holder is not required to grant licenses/non-asserts to an implementation that does not conform.
As one possible way to change the situation, we could adjust specification and the conformance clauses, for example, making it possible to conform to assembly without requiring all of bindings, implementation types or policy, and therefore make it easier for more products to conform to the individual parts of the SCA suite. Unfortunately, the opportunities we've given for Oracle TC members to step forward and suggest alternate paths forward have yielded no options from Oracle participants.

Thus, I conclude that the actions of the TC members from Oracle all point in the direction of Oracle having made a business decision to keep SCA from ever becoming a standard. Based on statements made, Oracle has concluded the market has moved on. We could - instead - let the market decide.

As I've said before, I will be alerting my company that Oracle's behavior with the SCA standards has been nothing short of toxic, and will be advising that we stay away from any further standards involvement with Oracle, unless we feel that possible toxicity can be neutralized.

Eric.