Subject: RE: [sca-bpel] Issue 11 - BPEL variable initialization and SCA properties

   Hi Michael,

            I think it impossible to determine which initialization expression initializes the variable in case of complex BPEL process having conditional/concurrent flows with multiple initialization expression of the same variable. In my view, we should state that “if the literal value can be determined by static analysis of the process then it will be represented as the default value in the component type for the process”

   Thanks,

   Najeeb

From: Michael Rowley [mailto:mrowley@bea.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:29 AM
To: Mark Ford; Alex Yiu
Cc: sca-bpel@lists.oasis-open.org

The key question, for me, is whether the component type should show non-literal default values.  Imagine reading a component type definition that looks like this:

<componentType>

    <property name=”x” defaultValue=”$y”/>

</componentType>

In this example, I’m assuming that BPEL had an initialization expression for “x” that assigns it to the value of the “y” BPEL variable.  If you copy this into the component type, the component type makes no sense, because there is no way to resolve “y”.

That is why I said that only literals can be used by the component type of a BPEL process.

Michael