Subject: Re: [sca-bpel] [ISSUE 18] - Comments on the Proposed Resolutionfor Issue 18 (Section 2.1 of BPEL Spec)

Mike,

I wish you had used revision 5 and not revision 9, per my email at
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200807/msg00033.html
This was a source of some confusion on the call last week.

Although, I don't think this is necessarily a problem wrt discussing
issue 18, given that the text in question that you are commenting on is
mostly unchanged between the two versions. But for those who were
confused about this last week, please be cognizant of this fact.

On your comment in section 2.1.2 can you please raise a separate issue
for this? Don't want to bundle this with 18.

My comments on your comments:

1) +1 to all the editorial fixups (s/sca:service/sca-bpel:service/
s/sca:reference/sca-bpel:reference/ s/specifies// insertion of 'an' and
'attribute).

2) WRT change from 'SCA runtime MUST generate ...' to '... MUST be
generated':

This change removes the conformance target in the conformance statement.
IMHO, a conformance statement must specify a target. The target
addresses the question 'who'. A conformance stmt must answer the
question 'who', 'what' and the level of conformance.

For example: A WIDGET MUST be round in shape
who: WIDGET
what: round in shape
conformance level: mandatory

A WIDGET MAY be made of metal
who:WIDGET
what: made of metal
conformance level: optional

As a resolution of issue 15 (http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-15) we
agreed on various conformance targets. I would like to see appropriate
targets used in conformance statements. It makes testing/compliance much
easier IMHO.

I would go further and suggest the following rules for our conformance
statements:

1) Each conformance statement must contain *exactly one* target.
2) Each conformance statement must contain *exactly one* RFC 2119 keyword.
3) The target in a conformance statement must be capitalized. This makes
it clear what the target is. I'm suggesting this as a typographic
convention. It won't change the meaning of the sentence, but in compound
sentences, it makes things clearer.

Here is a WS-I Basic Profile requirement example
(http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1_2(WGAD).html#R2724):

-----
R2724  If an INSTANCE receives an envelope that is inconsistent with its
WSDL description, it SHOULD generate a soap:Fault with a faultcode of
"Client", unless a "MustUnderstand" or "VersionMismatch" fault is generated.
-----

Basic profile has targets such as: instance, description, envelope.
Since all those words are used in the above requirement, having a
typographical convention about the target makes it readable.

-Anish