Subject: Formatted minutes of 2009-08-27 telcon

2. Appointment of scribe
Scribe list attached below
3. Agenda bashing
4. Approval of Aug 20, 2009 minutes
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200908/msg00041.html
5. Action Items review
#0103 create alternate proposal for Issue 52 -- Najeeb
DONE
#0104 send new proposal for issue 41 -- Anish
PENDING
6. New Issues
a) Issue 56 - No scoping rules specified to resolve variable name referred by sca-bpel:multiRefForm extension for the partner link
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-56
b) Issue 57 - No initialization mechanism specified for the variable with sca-bpel:multiReference extension
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-57
7. Issue Discussion
7 open issues
a) Issue 52
CT generation (section 2.1.1) does not take into consideration the multRefFrom attribute
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-52
Initial proposal: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200907/msg00037.html
Addendum to the proposal: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200908/msg00014.html
Proposal from Anish: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200908/msg00035.html
Alternate proposal from Najeeb: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200908/msg00049.html
b) Issue 41
SBPEL2022 has an incorrect 'MAY' and is not applied recursively
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-41
Email discussion -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200905/msg00035.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200905/msg00041.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200905/msg00044.html
Proposal: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200908/msg00011.html
Proposal v2: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200908/msg00036.html
Awaiting proposal v3 from Anish
c) Issue 53
BPEL Process: References with Multiplicity 0..1 - how are they supposed to work?
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-53
Proposal: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200908/msg00021.html
d) Issue 54
sca-bpel:multiReference/@partnerLinkType and sca-bpel:multiReference/@partnerRole cardinality
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-54
Proposal: in Jira
e) Issue 55
Co-occurrence constraints on sca-bpelroperty attribute and sca-bpel:multiReference element
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-55
Proposal: in Jira
f) Issue 46
SBPEL3006 isn't deterministic
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-46
no proposal
g) Issue 50
Need more examples in the specification
http://osoa.org/jira/browse/BPEL-50
no proposal
8. AOB

Scribe: Najeeb Andrabi

Agenda bashing

Agenda approved.

approval of 2009-08-20 minutes

meeting minutes approved for Aug 20th call.
Resolution: minutes of 2009-08-20 telcon located at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bpel/200908/msg00041.html
approved

AI review

AI 103 and 104 done.

New issues

Danny moves to open issue #56; anish seconds.

Issue #56 is now open.

motion passed.
<Mike Edwards>
The discussion is absolutely about whether the issue is an issue
Resolution: issue 56 is now open
Danny:
Initialization of properties needs to extended to multi reference variable initialization.

Danny moves to open #57; Najeeb seconds

motion passed.

Issue #57 is now open.
Resolution: issue 57 is now open

issue 52

<Sanjay>
Anish:
Change SBPEL2004.2 to use "sca:reference" @name attribute
Mike Edwards:
Always, use partner link name as the name of the multi-valued reference.
<anish>
30004 is a little convoluted
<Mike Edwards>
one way to model the multi-ref initialization would be to represent the extension as a) a simple extension attribute on the variable declaration element
<Mike Edwards>
and b) the initialization of the variable be represented by an extension child element of the variable declaration that in effect is an extended <from/> element, similar in form to the standard <from/> element
<Mike Edwards>
which I think addresses one of the points made by Danny in our earlier discussion
<Mike Edwards>
since the idea of the SCA initialization of these variables is precisely that of an extended form of initialization, where the data for the initialization is coming from a source outside the process
<anish>
this is making me think, are multiRefs such a mismatch to BPEL?
<anish>
if so, what if we didn't support them in BPEL C&I?
<Mike Edwards>
they are not a mismatch to BPEL at all
<Mike Edwards>
BPEL spec describes the assignment of an EPR to a partnerLink variable
<Mike Edwards>
so the EPR had to come from somewhere - and the somewhere is a variable of some kind
<Mike Edwards>
the BPEL spec even has a datastructure type to hold these EPRs
<anish>
k, understood. I was mostly thinking aloud. It seems like multiRefs stumps everyone. I had to explain to some of our devs how they work, as they were completely baffled about it
<Mike Edwards>
we *could* make it illegal
<Mike Edwards>
ie multirefs for BPEL
<anish>
that is what I was pondering
<anish>
whether that makes more sense
<anish>
and simplifies the spec quite a bit
<Mike Edwards>
but you might ask your devs to think about the case where a process needs to get some data from a set of equivalent services - eg a set of prices for some widgets
<Mike Edwards>
from a whole series of suppliers
<anish>
i don't think the problem is the usecase
<Mike Edwards>
that looks to me like a sequence of calls
<Mike Edwards>
using the same partnerlink in a loop, with the target EPR changing each time you go round the loop
<anish>
the problem is that everyone seems to stumble on it and the BPEL-centric folks certainly don't get it right away
<Mike Edwards>
so then, where did the list of EPRs come from?
<Mike Edwards>
if we use the wired-by-Impl paradigm, the list *could* have been sent to the process in a service invocation
<Mike Edwards>
ie it arrives as the value of a message variable on a receive, say

[End of Minutes]
Formatted on 2009-08-28 at 16:09:54 GMT-7

Minutes formatted by Schreiber, a collection of XSLT stylesheets by Bob Freund modeled after David Booth's scribe

Schreiber diagnostics output

[Delete this section before publishing the minutes]

final validation: Title not specified, default title 'OASIS SCA-BPEL TC...' was assumed

statistics: Schreiber found 113 input lines

edits: Schreiber found the following text-edit commands:

edits: Line 140: anish: s/then/them/

citation-detection-irc1: Line 4: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 12: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 24: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 27: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 34: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 35: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'Initial proposal'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 42: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 44: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 45: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 46: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 47: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'Proposal'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 48: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'Proposal v2'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 52: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'BPEL Process'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 53: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 54: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'Proposal'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 57: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'sca-bpel'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 58: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 59: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'Proposal'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 63: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 64: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'Proposal'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 68: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 73: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

command-scribe: Line 86: Najeeb Andrabi recognized

command-scribe: Schreiber detected that this section was scribed online

edit-substitute: command on line 140 succeeded, changed line 138 from 'then' to 'them'

edit-delete: Line 140 was deleted

system: Transformer: SAXON 9.0.0.2

[End of Schreiber diagnostic output]