Subject: RE: [sca-bpel] [Issue 52] CT generation (section 2.1.1) does not take into consideration the multRefFrom attribute [Alternative proposal based on Partner Link as multi-valued reference]

My understanding is that partner link declaration and its EPR initialization has nothing to do with a particular structured activity. In my view the only constraint for multi-valued partner link declaration is that the variable referred by @mutliRefForm attribute must be in its scope (Issue 56). Other than that partner link must follow the standard BPEL 2.0 lifecycle rules.

--Najeeb

From: Mike Edwards [mailto:mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 12:24 AM
To: OASIS BPEL

Folks,

Perhaps I've missed something here, but I don't follow the two points that Michael Rowley makes - I'd appreciate it if someone could explain in more detail.

Regarding the concept of a multi-valued reference that is manipulated by more than one forEach - I see no problem if the variable and the partnerLink are
declared at the global level.  Is the point here really about nested forEach statements where there is a need for redeclaration of  the partnerLink at each
nesting level?  If this is the case, then I'd like to ask about the directly parallel case of a 1..1 reference used within nested forEach - how is that supposed
to work?

As for the second case, I simply don't understand.  How does the processing of the partnerLink affect its declaration?  The declaration is static and is either
present or not present - usage makes no difference to this.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

Michael Rowley <michael.rowley@activevos.com>

Najeeb Andrabi <nandrabi@tibco.com>, OASIS BPEL <sca-bpel@lists.oasis-open.org>

28/08/2009 17:09

RE: [sca-bpel] [Issue 52] CT generation (section 2.1.1) does not take into consideration the multRefFrom attribute [Alternative proposal based on Partner Link as multi-valued reference]

This is certainly a viable approach.  I'd say there are two additional disadvantages:

- It is impossible to have one multi-valued references that is manipulated by more than one for-each.  Recall that the for-each deals with the multi-valued reference by declaring a locally scoped partner link.

- It is impossible to have a multi-valued reference that, perhaps temporarily, is not processed by any for-each (i.e. it has no locally scoped partner links that refer to it).

Michael