Subject: Re: [sca-bpel] Issue 61: proposal

Folks,

I'm finding it a bit hard to understand the reluctance to use the term "SCA runtime".

The SCA Assembly specification is absolutely stuffed with references to the "SCA runtime" and there
are quite a number of normative statements that use that term explicitly.  Indeed, there is even a whole
section devoted to "SCA Runtime Considerations", and the "SCA runtime" is a conformance target.

So why be coy about using that term in the SCA BPEL specification?

From the discussion on the call, it seemed as if Danny's main issue was actually over the point in time
when the SCA configuration data is taken and used to determine the values of variables in the BPEL
process.  The SCA Assembly spec makes it quite clear that a whole series of alternative runtime
designs are catered for, from everything being statically determined ahead of time to a completely
dynamic system where the configuration can be changed on the fly.  Using the term "SCA runtime"
accommodates all of these design points and does not have implications about the point in time at which
things are done.

Having preached my sermon, here is my proposal for the text in question:

"The WS-BPEL specification requires that the variable initialization logic in scopes that contain (or whose children contain) a start
activity use only idempotent functions in the from-spec. In SCA, WS-BPEL process variables which are associated with either
SCA properties or with SCA multi-valued references have their values set by the SCA runtime based on the configuration of the
SCA domain composite for the component which uses the process as its implementation.  Idempotency applies for a given
configuration of the SCA domain composite - but if the configuration of the SCA domain composite changes, then the values
of properties or of references can change. The SCA Assembly specification allows for a variety of SCA runtime designs,
including ones that permit the configuration of the SCA domain-level composite to change dynamically. See the SCA Assembly
specification [ASSEMBLY], specifically the sections on "Domain-Level Composite" (10.7),  "Dynamic Behaviour of Wires in the SCA Domain"
(10.8) and "Dynamic Behaviour of Component Property Values" (10.9) for details. For such runtimes, the values of properties and of
muti-valued references can change with a change in the configuration of the Domain-level composite."

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com