sca-c-cpp message

Subject: ISSUE 10 & 11: Document URL structure

This really is an issue discussion, so I am reposting with an updated subject

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM on 10/08/2007 01:43 PM -----
Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

10/08/2007 09:22 AM

sca-c-cpp@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[sca-c-cpp] Fw: [opencsa-ms] Document URL structure

I have raised the document URL structure concern to the Steering Committee.  They have asked for a specific proposal..

The other TC's that I have seen have drafts  (I believe all prepared by Anish) with URLs of the form:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sca-assembly/sca-assembly-draft-20070924.doc (note the working draft is not numbered - only way to identify is by date)
We so far have used  the form:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sca-c-cpp/sca-cpp-cni/1.1/wd01/sca-cpp-cni-1.1-wd01.doc

So some thoughts:

I like the idea of having different directories for WD, CD, etc, but I am not sure we need separate directories for each different working draft etc.

I like having the version number and draft/specification identifier in the document name

My observation form looking at some other OASIS specs is that do not use dates in document names and that TC's with multiple documents do not create separate directories for each document.

So my proposal is to use the form:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/sca-c-cpp/wd/sca-cppci-1.1-wd01.doc
or more generally:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/[tc-short-name]/[document-level]/sca-[document-short-name]-1.1-[docment-level][document-sequence-number].[extension]

I'd like to have an agreed proposal for the SC by their meeting this Friday.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM on 10/08/2007 08:47 AM -----
Graham Barber/UK/IBM@IBMGB

10/06/2007 09:29 AM

Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM
cc
opencsa-ms@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Fw: [opencsa-ms] Document URL structure

Bryan

Thank you for raising this cross-TC item which was considered by the Steering Committee and OASIS Staff at the SC teleconference on October 5th.

The Steering Committee feel that the most appropriate course of action would be for one of the Technical Committees to propose a full and complete recommendation for endorsement. Once that has been reviewed by OASIS Staff and the Steering Committee, the a Steering Committee recommendation will be submitted to all SCA TCs for their final decision.

Given that you raised the topic, can I ask you please to put together a complete recommendation?

Graham J Barber,

OASIS Open CSA Steering Committee Secretary & Vice-Chair

Program Director, SOA Partnerships,
    Graham_Barber@uk.ibm.com
    Graham Barber@IBMGB
Phone:
Internal:                                245702,  External: +44 (0)1962 815702
Secretary (Yulia):          247672,                    +44 (0)1962 817672
Cellphone (Worldwide):                                    +44 (0)7880 734005

----- Forwarded by Graham Barber/UK/IBM on 06/10/2007 14:24 -----
Graham Barber/UK/IBM

05/10/2007 15:41

Bryan Aupperle <aupperle@us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
Re: [opencsa-ms] Document URL structureLink

Bryan

Action item raised & will be on SC Agenda today.

Graham J Barber,

Program Director, SOA Partnerships,
    Graham_Barber@uk.ibm.com
    Graham Barber@IBMGB
Phone:
Internal:                                245702,  External: +44 (0)1962 815702
Secretary (Yulia):          247672,                    +44 (0)1962 817672
Cellphone (Worldwide):                                    +44 (0)7880 734005

Bryan Aupperle <aupperle@us.ibm.com>

05/10/2007 14:35

opencsa-ms@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[opencsa-ms] Document URL structure

The OASIS template requires a that all specifications contain URLs  for the current spec, previous spec, latest spec, and latest  approved spec, however it doesn't specify a structure for the  location of these documents, or how individual specifications  should be named.

From the template: http://docs.oasis-open.org/[tc-short-name]/[additional path/filename].html for an html version of a document.   In the C-C++ TC, we have accepted an issue to define the additional  path and file name.  However, it probably makes sense for all 6 TCs  to adopt a common additional path structure and a consistent  document naming convention.

For example do we want to have separate directories for working  drafts vs. committee drafts, etc.?  Do we want to use draft dates  or draft numbers in the file name?

A Steering Committee recommendation on this would be helpful and provide some consistency across the TCs.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com