sca-c-cpp message

Subject: Callback simplification

There are a couple of discussions taking place in the other TC's that have potential significant impact on our specifications.  I thought it would be useful to relay the key points of the discussions.  On next week's call I would like to discuss these two topics.

Callback simplification:  This is primarily being discussed in the Java TC.  The observations is that there is a fair amount of confusion about callbacks and the relationship of callbacks and conversations.  There are two similar, but not yet converged proposals.  The first makes all callbacks conversational and merges the conversationID and the callbackID.   The second has all callbacks non-conversational and makes the callbackID opaque to the client and provider (removing the associated get/set calls).  If correlation is needed by the business logic, and ID is explicitly created and exchanged.

There are also a set of clarifying questions that have been raised in the assembly TC:
1) Does every operation type invoked onto the "service interface" direction have the potential to have correlated callback interface operations in the opposite direction?

2) Does every operation invocation invoked onto the callback interface have to be considered as a callback for an operation invocation on the service interface?

3) How can it be specified (at design time) which operation types defined in the callback interface description can be correlated with which individual operation types defined in the service interface description?

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com