sca-c-cpp message

Subject: Conversation Issues

The second area of discussion is around conversations.

The Java TC had previously decided that a conversation scoped component could only provide conversational interfaces (which we also decided).  The have now additionally decided that all conversational interfaces must be implemented by conversation scoped components.

There is a larger issue being debated by the Assembly TC having to deal with multiple components participating in a conversation.  It starts with assembly issue 59 (http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-59) and there has been a fair amount of e-mail discussion.  Two major threads are the propagates conversation idea and a shared context idea.  There seems to be some concern that either option introduces too much complexity and there are a number of scenarios that lead to unknown state.  I suggest you look at the e-mail archive for the details if you are interested.  This topic relates to the ability to pass service references we have in section 5.4 of the C++ spec.

The reason for discussing this and the callback simplification topics is if we want to weigh in on the debates and how.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com