sca-c-cpp message

Subject: ISSUES 87: P Durusau PR Comments

I propose we use the following text as the response to P. Durusau's Public Review comments:

The SCA C-C++ TC thanks you for review and comments on the SCA Client and Implementation Model for C++ Specification.

Our responses to your comments are below.

1. Language usage needs to be consistent: "the following snippet" twice in 2.1 and "The following code extract" in 2.3.

Response:
“snippet” will be used consistently.

2. Moreover, the use of "following," or "above," or "below," creates ambiguity about which "snippet" or "code extract" is being described. The better practice would be to number all of them and then make specific reference to those numbered (suggest) "code examples".

Note that the use of indirect and ambiguous references limits the utility of the final version as others cannot make clear references to the "code examples" either in texts, tutorials, manuals or other materials.

One could argue that the use of line numbers makes precise citation possible, if awkward, but the ambiguity of internal referencing remains.

Response:
All snippets, examples, pseudo-schemas, will be captioned and explicitly referenced.

3. I think these are all the instances of "some:"

40 "This specification follows some naming conventions for artifacts defined by the specification, as follows: "

52 "This specification follows some typographic conventions for some specific constructs"

370-371 "Some member functions of an interface have behavioral characteristics, which will be described later, that need to be identified."

448 "Some member functions of an implementation have operational characteristics that need to be identified." (err, care to say which ones?)

1294-1295 "No additional discussion is needed for header files, but here are some additional considerations for executable and componentType files discussed in the following sections." (is this all the "additional considerations"?)

Generally "some" language is to be avoided in standards. Either we know what we want to say or we don't.

Response:
All of these will be reworded.

All of these changes are being tracked by issue CCPP-87 (http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/CCPP-87).

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com