sca-c-cpp message

Subject: ISSUE 92: Multi-valued Property retrieval in C

As I was looking at this some more I had an inspiration.  Each of the SCAProperty<T> functions has a value parameter that is a pointer to the appropriate type.  Multi-valued properties are held in arrays (we are not explicit about this yet, but the definition of @Property annotation strongly suggest so).  The type of the property in the componentType file would specify the maximum number of values for the property via a maxOccurs facet.  So for a multi-valued property, the value parameter would be the address of the array, and SCAProperty<T> would populate the elements of the array with the configured values (the stride of the array is based on <T> and the maxLength facet in the case of strings or .size of struct resulting from the default mapping in the case of complexTypes so the programmer needs to exercise care if type conversion during property value retrieval).  This needs to be explained in section 2.3

The only interesting scenario that needs further API clarification is if there are fewer configured values than there are array elements (the componetType could prevent this by setting minOccurs = maxOccurs).  To handle this, I propose that when SCAProperty<T> completes with a compCode of SCACC_OK that the returned value of reason is the number of values set.

If this approach seems reasonable, I will prepare a full proposal for our next call.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com