sca-c-cpp message

Subject: NEW ISSUE: @WebService vs. @Interface & @Remotable

Target: CC++ and  C&I Specifications (CD03 Rev 3)

Currently we have normative statements that say that an @WebService annotation implies an @Interface annotation and the other way around (CPPA0003 and CPPC0002 / CA0003 and CC0001).  This association would be appropriate if all interfaces were remotable, but that is not the case.  We could have an @Interface annotation with no @Remotable annotation, and it would not be necessary or appropriate to imply an @WebService annotation.  Similarly, @WebService does imply @Remotable, but this is not stated.

@Interface is only used in C++ when there are multiple classes in a header file and not all define SCA interfaces.  It is used in C when multiple interfaces are defined within a header file or to control the name of the service defined by the interface.

For C++ @Remotable should also imply @Interface, but this is not stated.

Proposal:
(Direction - Full text will be needed)

For C++:
@Remotable => @Interface (this would mean that @interface would only be used for local interfaces when multiple classes are present in a header file).
@Remotable => @WebService and @WebService => @Remotable (replace @Interface with @Remotable in the two normative statements)

For C:
@Remotable is additive to @Interface (as it is now)
@Remotable => @WebService and @WebService => @Remotable and @Interface if necessary (rewording the normative statements)

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com