sca-c-cpp message

Subject: ISSUE 84: Macro restrictions

Towards the end of last week's discussion on Issue 84 we noted that the direction of the proposal was going to make the title of section 9 (Restrictions on C++ header files) no longer quite appropriate.  As I started to work on a proposal, it became apparent that perhaps the best thing to do was merge sections 8 and 9 into one section that discusses C++ interfaces.  This proposal does that.

Summary of changes:
- Merge sections 8 and 9 into one section titled C++ interfaces.
- Add a paragraph describing when macros and typedefs have to be processed with text pointing out use of macros and typedefs might lead to portability problems.
- Remove macros from normative statement listing prohibited constructs in C++ header files.  Changed the target from header files as a whole to classes used to define interfaces.  Renumber the statement to CPP80001
- Remove Original normative statement CPP80001 (type restriction on local interfaces) since it really did not restrict anything.  We could keep this but as non-normative text as another option..
- Renumber CPP90001 to CPP80003

I know that this means that currently means that for new sections 9 and 10 the normative statement numbering is not consistent with section numbering.  For what it is worth, several of the other SCA specs are also in that state and the thinking is not to worry about it until very close to attempting to go for a Committee Specification vote.

If everyone is OK with this rework I will create a corresponding proposal for the C spec. as well.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

sca-cppcni-1.1-spec-cd03-rev4+Issue84.doc