Subject: Re: [sca-j] NEW ISSUE: Callback Simplification

Folks,

As you perhaps remember from the Assembly F2F meeting, I'm certainly all in favour of simplification in
the area of callbacks and conversations.

However, this issue being raised in the Java TC raises the question of whether all that is intended is some
tinkering with the Java API for these capabilities, or whether the aim is a more general simplification of
callbacks and conversations.

If a more general reworking is intended, then I think that a parallel issue needs raising in the Assembly TC
since I think that the Assembly TC defines the general concepts that must then be implemented by the
other affected TCs (which include at least the language implementation TCs and the bindings TCs).

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

"Michael Rowley" <mrowley@bea.com>

12/02/2008 22:47

"OASIS Java" <sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[sca-j] NEW ISSUE: Callback Simplification

There’s been some informal discussion about the need to simplify callbacks and now some email on the subject.  I’ll suggest this issue to hang this discussion on.  I won’t put in a proposal, since I don’t think we are yet at the stage where it is appropriate to have a proposal stored in the JIRA.

RAISER: Michael Rowley

TARGET: Java API and Annotation Specification

One of SCA’s goals is to present a simple programming model to service developers.  Unfortunately, the current capabilities related to callbacks don’t really qualify as simple.  Developers have to be able to understand all of the possible combinations of:

- The scope of the client (4 possibilities)
- The scope of the service provider (4 more possibilities)
- Conversational or non-conversational on the main interface.
- Conversational or non-conversational on the callback interface.
- User specified callback IDs
- User specified callback objects.
- The relationship of callback IDs to conversation IDs (possibly user specified)
- ...and probably more

PROPOSAL:

Not included.

Unless stated otherwise above: