Subject: RE: [sca-j] Property reinjection - is this covered by Issue-4?

We did discuss it as part of the issue 4 discussions, but we decided to only consider changes that can happen through SCA’s standard abstract operation: addToDomainComposite().  Through this operation, it is possible to introduce new wires, but it is not possible to change a property.

There are many changes that could occur through other mechanisms (such as the updateDomainComposite operation), but we decided not to standardize anything about those right now.

BTW, there I don’t believe there are any restrictions in the spec that would disallow a runtime from providing a way to modify the property of a deployed component and reinject it by a call to the setter method.

Michael

From: Mark Combellack [mailto:mcombellack@avaya.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:27 AM
To: OASIS Java

Hi,

I’ve been following the discussions on dependency reinjection (i.e. getting references re-injected after the application has been deployed) for Java Issue-4 [1] and it all looks good.

I was wondering if this approach was going to be extended to include property reinjection. For a long running application, it would be essential for an Administrator to be able to update the properties to reflect changes that have taken place after the application was deployed.

If it is not being covered by Issue-4, is it worth me raising a new issue to cover property re-injection?

Thanks,

Mark

[1] http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-4