Subject: Re: [sca-j] Property reinjection - is this covered by Issue-4?

I think it's best to open a new issue to consider this.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB

21/02/2008 15:09

"OASIS Java" <sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [sca-j] Property reinjection - is this covered by Issue-4?

Mark,

You ask a good question.

The main difference that I saw originally between Properties and References was that the wiring of a Reference can be changed

completely independently of the configuration of a component.  Typically, I envisage that to change a property value, you would

in effect need to update a component and redeploy.  For me, that said "no reinjection of property values" - since only new

instances of the redeployed component would get the updated property value.

However, Dave Booz is suggesting that a dynamic update of composites/components should be possible, effectively as a kind

of management action.  Whether to view this as a "redeployment" is an interesting question, but it certainly puts back on the

table to question of whether dynamic update of a property is allowed - and if so, reinjection.

Currently, this is not covered by Issue 4, but we could envisage extending the resolution of Issue 4 to cover properties.

It may be best to raise a new issue to avoid losing the points you're making.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

"Mark Combellack" <mcombellack@avaya.com>

21/02/2008 14:26

"OASIS Java" <sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[sca-j] Property reinjection - is this covered by Issue-4?

Hi,

I’ve been following the discussions on dependency reinjection (i.e. getting references re-injected after the application has been deployed) for Java Issue-4 [1] and it all looks good.

I was wondering if this approach was going to be extended to include property reinjection. For a long running application, it would be essential for an Administrator to be able to update the properties to reflect changes that have taken place after the application was deployed.

If it is not being covered by Issue-4, is it worth me raising a new issue to cover property re-injection?

Thanks,

Mark

[1]
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-4