Subject: Re: [sca-j] Inspiration or Hallucination? A proposal to resolve issues 25, 46 and 10

Hi Simon,

I'm very sympathetic to eliminating many of the Java APIs as it is close to the proposal Mike and I made in this respect. However, I have a few questions. It's early for me so I may have missed some obvious things:

1. Are you proposing CallableReference be passed as part of the service contract in 11a or passed as part of the invocation context, transparent to application code? I think it is the latter but I want to be sure (of course someone could explicitly pass a CallableReference if they chose to do so)

2.  I like the idea of allowing other scopes to implement their own state correlation mechanisms you outlined below but I don't think we should eliminate @EndsConversation as that allows implementations to avoid APIs (it's less complex) and being unnecessarily tied to an SCA container. I would, however, potentially also favor inferring the implementation scope if @EndsConversation were present, saving the implementor the step of doing this. In fact, forgetting to add @Scope("CONVERSATION") has been a very common occurrence with some of the developers I have been working with and it has lead to bugs that were initially difficult to track down.

I need to think more about it, but I'm generally open to this and am willing to help write up a proposal. One thing that would help is to do so with some sample code.

Jim