Subject: Re: [sca-j] Another early morning brainstorm - conversations revisited

Jim,
This is a good discussion that is bringing out many important points.  My latest responses are in <scn4>....</scn4>.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

Jim Marino <jim.marino@gmail.com>

07/08/2008 23:54

OASIS Java <sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [sca-j] Another early morning brainstorm - conversations revisited

Simon,

I've commented inline and snipped some of the previous text to make it easier to read...

<snip/>

 I accept that my current proposal doesn't do this, but tries to provide quite a lot of capability within the infrastructure.  If the TC feels this road is leading to a dead end then we could start a very different discussion about what additional things could be delegated to business code.

I don't think it is necessarily leading to a dead end but it would be beneficial to step back and agree on the main use cases we are trying to achieve as well as the extent of changes we are willing to make.  If we agree on the use cases, it will be easier to judge the merits of the various proposals by looking at how application code would need to be written. Use cases also have the nice effect of keeping scope limited.

<scn3>My main concern about moving the focus of the discussion to use cases is that we already tried to do this, and the result was the union of everyone's opinions on what the important use cases are (i.e., no possible use cases were eliminated.)</scn3>

I still think this would be useful, even if it is a union, particularly to contrast complexity introduced into application logic by the various proposals.

<scn4>I think a side-by-side code comparison would be useful.  I believe I laid out the use cases in my earlier proposal
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/27733/JAVA-25-Proposal-2.doc
Please take a look at the use cases there (not the specific proposal) to see whether you agree they are the right ones to compare.</scn4>

<snip/>

What happens if I want to introduce asynchrony (non-blocking operations) such as:

public interface OrderService {

@OneWay
      void startNewOrder();

@OneWay
void orderApples(..);

@OneWay
void orderPlums(..);

}

Does the proposal require interfaces to have a synchronous operation to start a conversation?

<scn2>Yes it does, and I believe this restriction is needed whether or not we make API changes.  The first operation of a conversation will create an instance and initialize it for use by subsequent calls within the same conversation.  If the first operation is oneway, the client can proceed immediately and it might make the second call before the first call has completed (or even started) executing.</scn2>

I don't believe the current API requires this at all and that behavior is the opposite of what I am proposing. The reference proxy can simply make an out-of-band synchronous call to allocate a conversational id. This may or may not involve out-of-process work. Either way, the proxy does not return control to the client until an id is generated. The two key things I am proposing are:

1. How the conversation id is generated does not bleed through to the programming model
2. Id generation does not require an operation on the target service to be invoked

Expanding on point 2, requiring a conversation to be initiated by a synchronous operation *to the service* cannot work over JMS when the client is using transacted messaging since messages are not sent until after the transaction has committed This is a very common messaging scenario. Assuming the callback is handled via a reply-to queue that the client listens on, the consumer only receives enqueued messages when a transaction commits, thereby inhibiting the client from receiving a response.  If in the original above example the client is participating in a global transaction and OrderService.startNewOrder() returns a CallableReference or a proxy, the client will hang as the forward message will not be received until the transaction commits (which won't occur since the client would be listening on the reply-to queue).

To avoid this, I imagine most JMS binding implementations would use the mechanisms as described by the JMS binding spec and pass a conversation id in the message header.

Therefore, I believe your proposal won't work in these scenarios.

<scn3>I understand your point about JMS.  However, you haven't addressed my other point about the conversational provider instance needing to be created and initialized before further invocations are made on it.  For transports that provide reliable queued in-order delivery of messages (the JMS case) the transport can take care of this.  For other transports, the first invocation must execute and complete before the second one can occur.  This serialization needs to be handled somehow, either by the application or by the infrastructure.</scn3>

Sorry, I  didn't explain well. Let me try with an example. The current programming model will work fine in the case you outline above, that is, when an invocation arrives out of order as long as the creation of the conversation id is a synchronous event from the perspective of the client reference proxy. Let's start by taking a simplistic SCA implementation and look at the sequence of events that would happen:

1. Application code invokes a reference proxy that represents a conversational service by calling the orderApples operation
2. The reference proxy knows a conversation has not been started so acquires a write lock for the conversation id and *synchronously* performs some work to get a conversation id. Since this is a simplistic implementation, it generates a UUID. and caches it, then releases the write lock. From this point on, the conversation id is available to the reference proxy.
3. The reference proxy then invokes the orderApples operation over some transport, flowing the id and invocation parameters
4. The reference proxy returns control to the application logic
5. At some later time, the orderApples invocation arrives in the runtime hosting the target service
6. If the target instance is not created or initialized, the runtime does so
7. The runtime dispatches the orderApples invocation to the target instance.

Now let's assume the client invokes both orderApples and orderPlums in that order, which are non blocking. Let's also assume ordered messaging is not used (e.g. the dispatch is in-VM using a thread pool) and for some reason orderPlums is delivered to the target runtime before orderApples. Steps 1-4 from above remain the same. Then:

5. The application logic invokes orderPlums.
6. The reference proxy acquires a read lock to read the conversation id which it obtains immediately. It then releases the lock and flows the invocation data and id over some transport.
7. The orderPlums request arrives, along with the conversation id created in step 2 before the orderApples invocation.
8. The target instance does not exist, so the runtime instantiates and initializes it
9. The orderApples invocation containing the operation parameters and same conversation id arrives on the target runtime . At this point the target instance is already created so the runtime dispatches to it.

Note that the read/write lock would not be necessary for clients that are stateless components since they are thread-safe.

In the above cases, the creation of a conversation id is orthogonal to the creation of a provider instance and the former always completes prior to an instance being created. If we were to replace the conversation generation algorithm (UUID) with something that was more complex (e.g. called out to the service provider runtime) the same sequence would hold.

Also, the above sequence solves the problem of using conversational services with transacted messaging that arises by forcing a request-reply pattern to be part of the forward service contract.

<scn4>Now it's my turn to apologize for not explaining well enough.  The sequence above covers the case where either of the two forward calls can validly execute first on the same conversational instance.  The case I am concerned about is where the first call must execute before the second call because it does some necessary prerequisite initialization of the conversational instance.  For example, the first call is "create order" and the subsequent calls add items (apples, plums) to the order that was previously created.  I believe this will be the common case, and in this case it is necessary for the first call in the conversation to be a two-way call.</scn4>

2. Clarification on service operation signatures

I'm unclear if by the following the proposal intends to require use of CallableReference for conversational interactions:

A simple extension to the model already proposed can solve both these problems.  A conversation would be initiated by the service creating a CallableReference and returning it to the client.  This CallableReference contains an identity for the conversation.  This client then makes multiple calls through this CallableReference instance.  Because these calls all carry the same identity, a conversation-scoped service will dispatch all of them to the same instance.

I'm assuming this is just for illustrative purposes and it would be possible for a conversation to be initiated in response to the following client code, which does not use the CallableReference API:

public class OrderClient ... {

@Reference
protected OrderService service;

public void doIt() {
service.orderApples(...);
service.orderPlums(...); // routed to the same target instance
}

}

Is this correct?

<scn>In a word, No.  All conversations would need to be initiated by the proposed mechanism of having the server return a CallableReference to the client.  This allows the conversation identity to be generated by the server, not the client.  Several people (e.g., Anish and Mike) have called this out as an issue with the current mechanism for conversations.</scn>

Sorry for being so thick, but I don't see why the above could not be supported using "server" generation of conversation ids. We should be careful here to specify what we mean by "server", and whether invocations are flowing through a wire or a client external to the domain. I don't think the term "server" should necessarily mean "the runtime hosting the service provider." Sometimes this may be the (degenerate) case, but not always.

For communications flowing through wires, the only thing we can likely say is "conversation ids are generated by the domain".  I would imagine most domain implementations would chose an efficient id generation scheme that can be done without context switching on every invocation (e.g. UUID generation provided by the JDK). However, in cases where this efficient identity generation is not possible, I believe SCA infrastructure can support the above code. In this case, the reference proxies would be responsible for making some type of out-of-band request to generate a conversation id to some piece of domain "infrastructure".

<scn2>I'm very uncomfortable with placing this kind of runtime requirement on the SCA domain, which IMO should not take on the responsibilities of a persistence container.  For efficient support of persistent conversational instances with failover, load balancing and transactionality, the ID may need to be generated by a persistence container.  For example, it could be a database key.</scn2>

I think this is less of a requirement than what you are proposing, which also shifts the burden to application code (which should not have to deal with these mundane infrastructure concerns).

The only requirement I am making is the "domain" provides the key. My usage of the term "domain" is intentionally vague: it could be a database, some service hosted in a cluster, or a snippet of code embedded in a Java proxy.  Generating the id can therefore be done using a database key or, more simply, by having a reference proxy use facilities already provided in the JDK 1.5 or greater, which would require one line of code. My proposal would not restrict the SCA infrastructure in how the id is generated, other than it is done synchronously and out-of-band.

<scn3>I'm concerned about putting too much mechanism into the SCA domain.  I think it needs to support SCA wiring, deployment and configuration.  I'd expect it other middleware that's not part of the SCA domain to provide things like persistence, load balancing and failover.</scn3>

We may have a conceptual difference. I consider domain infrastructure to include any middleware resources used by the SCA implementation. This may include multiple runtimes, databases, messaging providers, JEE app servers etc. An SCA implementation would not necessarily implement persistence, ordered messaging, transaction recovery, etc. Rather, it could use other software to provide those features. For example, an SCA implementation that supports key generation using a database table may only contain a DDL script and code that makes a JDBC call. Given that, I don't think I'm putting anything into the domain.

<scn4>Yes, we seem to have a conceptual difference on what constitutes the SCA domain.  I see the system middleware as providing an SCA domain as well as these other capabilities.  IMO, SCA should not attempt to provide a complete appserver infrastructure (become the new JEE).  Over time we may grow the SCA envelope as systems move towards a more service-oriented internal sturucture, but I would like to take this step by step and not attempt to take on too much in the first round of OASIS specs.</scn4>

The important thing is how conversation id generation happens does not bleed into the programming model and is transparent to the application. In other words, we not should require anything more complex than this when the OrderClient is wired to an OrderService:

public class OrderClient ... {

@Reference
protected OrderService service;

public void doIt() {
service.orderApples(...);
service.orderPlums(...); // routed to the same target instance
}

}

<scn2>Another important thing is how much complexity is needed inside the infrastructure to support the programming model.  This cannot always be hidden under the covers, especially when dealing with failure cases and complex environments.  The need for persistent transactional storage of conversational instances is an example of where this complexity arises.</scn2>

Here it would be useful to outline a specific use case for "persistent transactional storage of conversational instances" as I'm not sure what that entails. Does it mean the following

1. Invocations to orderApples() and orderPlums() are done with guaranteed delivery
2. Changes to the *state* of a given OrderService instance are guaranteed to be available in the case where the runtime hosting the instance fails

I suspect if it is the above, much of the complexity will be buried in the messaging and failover infrastructure, not the SCA runtime.

<scn3>SCA would need to decide whether or not such guarantees are part of the SCA conversational programming model.  If they are, then the SCA domain would have to step up to providing the mechanisms to implement them.  It's currently unclear from the SCA specs what assumptions, if any, application code can make about these matters.</scn3>

I believe these should not be concerns of the programming model. They should be expressed through policy. Also, the SCA implementation would be free to delegate to some other middleware to provide these features.

<scn4>I'm not convinced that all of these aspects should be handled through SCA policy or SCA mechanisms (see my previous comment).</scn4>

<snip/>
How about the current API:

public class OrderClient ... {