Subject: Re: [sca-j] JAVA-125: proposed resolution

Hi Simon, thanks for taking the time to look at the proposal.  I've added some comments below.

Regards,

Graham.

Graham Charters PhD CEng MBCS CITP
STSM, AIM Technical Lead OSGi Expert Groups, Master Inventor, UKISA Technical Staff Member
IBM United Kingdom Limited, MP 146, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK
Tel:  (Ext) +44-1962-816527     (Int) 7-246527   (Fax) +44-1962-818999
Internet: charters@uk.ibm.com

This design was based on the belief that @Remotable was similar to intents and if the developer has made a statement with the annotation we shouldn't be changing that statement.  If we override an @Remotable and say "remotable=false", then local invocations would start using by-reference semantics where an implementation may have assumed it would receive a copy.  This isn't clear cut, because the absence of @Remotable may or may not have been a conscious choice, and therefore we can't say whether specifying "remotable=true" is overriding a conscious decision to leave off @Remotable, or whether it's just the first time remotable has been considered for the interface.

I believed that this had been raised in the assembly TC prior to the @remotable attribute being added to the C/C++ specs, but Bryan has clarified to me that this is in fact not the case.  I will therefore raise this as an issue in the Assembly TC.  If that is accepted, we will still need some statement for how the attribute and annotation interact.