Subject: RE: [sca-j] Proposal for ISSUE 130: Problems with Example 3 in chapter 7 (sca-javacaa-1.1-spec-cd02-rev2+Issue130.doc) uploaded

The first question to answer is "What's the scope of the example?"

If the answer is: to show different policy on different methods then clearly we need more than one method to illustrate that. Hopefully we all agree up to this point.

The existing sample contained a method call to itself, which is problematic because the policy on the invoked method would have been ignored since the call was NOT being made through a proxy. What's the point of an example which shows different policy on different methods when one of the policies is actually ignored in the sample.

Therefore, to resolve the problem there are at least two solutions, IMO:
a) remove the internal call from the 1st method to the 2nd - the method call is not necessary for the example and would shorten it

b) Change the method call to use a proxy - reinforcing the idea of "different policy on different methods" idea

Yang chose (b). I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Mike Edwards ---02/13/2009 06:26:23 AM---Yang Lei, Mark, Your combined efforts are a big improvement.Mike Edwards ---02/13/2009 06:26:23 AM---Yang Lei, Mark, Your combined efforts are a big improvement.

Mike Edwards <mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com>

"OASIS Java" <sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org>

02/13/2009 06:26 AM

RE: [sca-j] Proposal for ISSUE 130: Problems with Example 3 in chapter 7 (sca-javacaa-1.1-spec-cd02-rev2+Issue130.doc) uploaded

Yang Lei, Mark,

Your combined efforts are a big improvement.

One thing I would like to probe is whether there is a need to use context.createSelfReference() in this example.

I don't see a problem with a Java implementation class calling one of its methods from within another method,
even where both methods are implementations of a service interface. If this is the case, then the use of
createSelfReference() in this example seems to make the example more complex than it needs to be,
given that the sample is about annotations for implementation security policy. Perhaps I'm missing some subtleties
here and someone can set me straight.

Yours, Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014 Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email: mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com