Subject: Re: [sca-j] NEW ISSUE: @Callback injection could be NULL

David Booz wrote:
> I'm glad we're doing this in email, and not on the call. We need to do
> more of this.
>
> We need to avoid uninitialized fields and so am asserting that NULL
> would in fact be injected, ensuring that a test for NULL in the app was
> always going to give the correct answer. This makes the two cases
> parallel (which they should be). It doesn't do the app any good to leave
> uninitialized fields laying around.
>
> Good catch on the "should".
>
> I knew about the 76 overlap in the example and chose to ignore it given
> that it hasn't been accepted/applied yet. In any case, I am fine if we
> omit the example updates from the proposal.
>
> This then changes the proposal to:
>
> In section 6.2.4, at the end of the first paragraph (line 395 [1] ) add
> the following:
>
> A field or setter method annotated with @callback is injected or set to
> NULL if the implementation is invoked through a non-bidirectional
> service or when invoked as a callback. It is RECOMMENDED that the
> component implementation checks for null before using a callback
> reference in this situation (See also the getCallbackReference() method
> in section 8.2 "RequestContext").

Apart from the question of whether or not NULL gets injected, I don't
think we should make the component implementation logic into an RFC2119
conformance target.  I'd like to proposed alternative wording that
addresses these two points:

A field or setter method annotated with @Callback will not be injected
if the implementation is invoked through a non-bidirectional service or
when invoked as a callback. To allow for this, the component implementation
can check for null before using a callback reference in this situation
(See also the getCallbackReference() method in section 8.2 "RequestContext").

   Simon