Subject: Re: [sca-j] Groups - SCA Java C&I WD04 proposal (PDF) (sca-javaci-1.1-spec-wd04_proposal.pdf)uploaded

Mike,
Here my comments from a complete review of the document.  I have not
repeated the comments that I made on Monday's call, except for the
final one about the implementation.java schema to remind us that an
issue is needed for this.  Line numbers are taken from the PDF document.
I have indicated those comments for which I think issues are needed.

  1. Page 1 (front cover): replace "supercedes" by "supersedes".

  2. Line 20: Refer to latest version of Assembly spec.

  3. Line 23: Refer to latest version of JavaCAA spec.

  4. Line 36: Non-normative "may".

  5. Lines 47-48: Contradiction with lines 143-144.  Here it says that
     an SCA interface defined by a Java class is not remotable.
     In lines 143-144 it says that implementation classes can be
     marked with @Remotable.  We need to decide which is correct.
     [ISSUE NEEDED]

  6. Line 49: Add reference [JAVACAA].

  7. Line 90: The "can also define" suggests that @Service could specify
     both an interface and the implementation class.  The "as opposed to"
     that precedes it suggests that it's one or the other.  The spec needs
     to be clear on whether or not this should be allowed. [ISSUE NEEDED]

  8. Lines 109 and 132: Namespace appears in wrong font.

  9. Lines 112, 135 and 138: "interface" should not be in bold font, as
     this isn't Java code.

10. Lines 143-144: See comment 5 above.

11. Lines 156-158 and 166-168: Almost an exact repetition.  I suggest
     removing the 166-168 version as the 156-158 version is more complete.

12. Line 191: Two spaces after the "=" sign.

13. Lines 195, 200, 233, 236 and 343: remove "public or protected".

14. Line 203 (also 235 and 238): Should say that injection always occurs
     before the first service method is called (as in the previous paragraph).

15. Line 207 and 241: Non-normative "optional".

16. Lines 209-210: Replace "references can also be determined" by
     "references are determined".  Similar change needed in 243-244.

17. Line 220: Typo "propertoes".  Are these good to eat? :-)

18. Line 229: Space after the dot.

19. Line 259: What does the "unambiguously" mean?  Just that every parameter
     must be marked with either @Property or @Reference?  If so, there is
     a potential problem.  What if there are two constructors that both
     have all of their parameters marked with either @Property or @Reference?
     The two constructors could have the same property/reference names or
     different property/reference names.  In both cases, this would be an
     error.  I think the best way to handle this is to add words in the
     JavaCAA spec to outlaw these illegal combinations.  It would also be
     helpful to clarify the meaning of "unambiguously" here. [ISSUE NEEDED]

20. Lines 265-269.  There has been some discussion on the email list about
     this.  It needs fixing.  See my comments in
     http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200902/msg00243.html

21. Lines 345-346: Text reads "...API methods....methods...".  Remove the
     second "methods" on line 346.

22. Lines 489, 499, 508, 517: When this issue was resolved, we agreed to
     add an editorial comment pointing out the lower case "s" in the second
     method name.  This wasn't done when the issue resolution was applied.

23. Line 643: Delete conformance statement JCI00005, because this is
     already covered by JCI00001.

24. Line 644: Delete conformance statement JCI00006, because this is
     already covered by JCI00004.

25. Line 678: Change "composite" to "contribution".

26. Appendix A: Add schema for implementation.java and refer to it in
     the Conformance section. [ISSUE NEEDED]

   Simon